Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Music Making with a Computer for Dummies

Txema is offline New Member
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi, I'm NOT a musician but a computer geek.
    The first article is pretty basic so let me put my 2 cents:
    Modern processors, CPU's, have cores and threads, a two core four threads CPU will be "read" by the operating system as 4 CPU's but won't be as efficient as a 4 cores 4 threads that's also "read" as 4 CPU's. Examples an Intel i3 is a two core four threads while the i7 is 4 cores 4 threads.
    The ammount of Cache memory and Front Side Bus, FSB, speed will benefit the over all processing.
    As for memory, the more the merrier, but if you match the FSB of the CPU with the FSB of the memory there won't be any delays on the transit of the information.
    But remember, an 32 bit OS would only accept 4 GB of RAM, so go for a 64 Bit OS.
    An finally the Hard Disk, SSD are the fastest kid on the town, and the more expensive. So you can get a 10,000 RPM SATA 2, 32 or 64 KB cache memory HD and get a pretty good performance.

dmiller91 is offline Newbie
    Um that was great and stuff, but is part 2 posted? That was a pretty basic article.

nortone is offline Newbie
    I recently purchased sonar X1 essential and I'm just getting familiar with it so far I see great potential .
    I have a Peavey Studiomix control surface that works well with the Daw but for some reason the mike input and the line in stopped working...tape in and outs work as well as the soundcard I/O's.
    I'm thinking something inside the board is the culprit.I read the manual over and over but I can't find out what the problem is.any suggestions ?

witzendoz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nortone View Post
    I recently purchased sonar X1 essential and I'm just getting familiar with it so far I see great potential .
    I have a Peavey Studiomix control surface that works well with the Daw but for some reason the mike input and the line in stopped working...tape in and outs work as well as the soundcard I/O's.
    I'm thinking something inside the board is the culprit.I read the manual over and over but I can't find out what the problem is.any suggestions ?
    Start this as a new thread, you will get more replies. People coming here think the subject is "Music Making with a Computer for Dummies"

ralphmconger is offline Registered User
    nice post chater! i will wait for your article about "making music on computer". Thanks for post

cyborgmusic is offline Newbie

Candytape is offline New Member
    Just shared that on my FB page - diggin it!

RustyMetal is offline Rock 'til ya Drop
    Quote Originally Posted by marykabrown View Post
    Do you have for linux please?
    Linux is a good platform. Very stable, and takes better advantage of resources - i.e. runs as fast with a little less meat under the hood, and has a lot of free software that may be lesser known, but is equally effective. A good example is Ubuntu Studio. It is setup with Video, Audio, and Publishing workstations. People wanting to make music videos without having to resort to using something ultra-basic like Windows Movie Maker, or something pro level that costs an arm and a leg, should check out uStudio. I have it installed to a high speed USB drive so I can take it with me. I even have Reaper installed through Wine (a Windows type translator). Not practical because of the extra latency, but better than nothing for quick editing from the usb on someone's computer when you're on the go. uStudio comes with Ardour daw, Audacity, qTractor (midi daw), LMMS daw, etc. All free.

The downside is, it's Linux. Most mainstream software is not ported to Linux, and sometimes getting a driver to work can be tricky. That's usually not a big issue because Ubuntu Studio already has everything, and it's completely setup. You can also run it from a live DVD. It's just not quite as user friendly as, say, Windows. But definitely worth checking out! Even if you only use it for the video portion for editing music or family videos, it's worth some of your time getting familiar with the installed and available packages (programs). When I start making and editing any kind of videos, I will use uStudio. Of course I will still use Reaper on my Windows computer for audio work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information