Multitracking drums

jon-paul

I've been in recording for a while (analog) and am starting to gather info to start my own PC recording studio.

My question is how will I go about multi-tracking drums? I only have one input on my soundcard so how do I get separate tracks for my kick, snare, toms, cymbals...probably 6 tracks in all?

I'm obviously talking about live drums! Just wondering if there's a special sound card to use or some other tricky technique to get it done...

thanks!
Jon-Paul

Hey Jon-Paul,

You will need a multi-input soundcard. Check out products by gadget labs, aardvark, and others. This is what you need for recording more than 2 tracks at one time.

Links to these and more can be found right on this site..
http://www.homerecording.com/digital.html

You need a half-decent machine to be able to record lots of tracks at once and play back many. What's your machine?

You will need some kind of software like Cakewalk or Sound Forge to do your multi tracking in and a multi input and out put sound card.(break out box) Check out Event electronics, or MOTU gear. We use the MOTU 2408 to fly traks from the ADATS in and out of the PC whether it be for mixdown or edting but is a bit pricey, but if your on a budget, you should consider buying our 2044. Its great for starting a PC studio_Our ad is on this page somewhere and the price was just reduced.804-743-4960.
Bill

Back