MOTU 828mkII and Headphone Amp with Cubase SX

bswylie

Hi there

I'm trying to copy (mimic) my main monitor mix (Main Outs L&R) straight into my headphone outs (Analog out 1&2) on my MOTU 828mkII. I'm using Cubase SX, and at the moment am just using the sends for each individual channel to route to the headphone bus - but this is a pain.

Is there a way I can send the monitor mix to outs 1 & 2 as well? :confused:

I'm on the whole really impressed with the MOTU, but just can'r find any feature like this unfortunately - does it exist?

Thanks!
Brian

I think the easiest solution would be to just make/buy some splitter cables to send the main outs of the MOTU to your monitors and headphone amp.
You could probably use the headphone out of the MOTU to feed a headphone amp as well. Just set the phones output of the MOTU to mimic the main outs in the MOTU console. Just don't crank up the headphone level on the 828.
It would be nice if Cubase would allow you to select multiple outputs for tracks and groups instead of relying on sends. If there is a way .... I haven't found it yet.

Thanks - yeah that would be nice if i were possible to route to several outputs at once. This should surely be needed by many people, and considering the price we have paid for SX 3, this should surely be part of it? Hardly a biggie to add.

I thought of splitting the cable, but I really don't want to have the headphone amp signal going up or down as I change the main monitor volume (and the front panel headphone out for that matter), as I may want more volume in the control room, whilst some poor muso is going deaf in the live room, and my headphones die because I have not adjusted every single headphone's volume out! See why I want it seperate?!

I guess I can just save a default project template with all the tracks I envisage needing for a typical project, and send all the outputs to the headphone bus manually. I'm just concerned that this will add tons of LATENCY. Any ideas?

Thanks
B.

Sorted!

I have now figured out how to do it in Cubase with no latency. Hopefully someone else finds this useful.

1) Create Bus for main outs on hardware IF
2) Create Bus for headphone amp outs on hardware IF
3) Create a group track for called "Main Monitors"
4) Route all audio, instruments etc to this group track
5) Make output of "Main Monitors" the main outs bus of audio hardware
6) Use a send of "Main Monitors" group channel to route to headphone amp out

And voila! Knew there had to be an easy way to do this - in my opinion the group track etc stuff isn't very well documented in the pdf documentation or html help with SX 3 - had to figure out this stuff without its help.

B.

Back