motu 828mk3 and firewire question

Tweakberry

Hi,

I did a search and didnt find an answer here, and was gonna send an email to motu tech support but it appears you have to be a registered user first

Im think about buying the motu 828mk3, does any have any idea where i can find a
PCI express card with a TI or Lucent chipset?, im having a hard time finding one that doesnt have poor reviews

i found this, but the reviews dont look so promising

i also found this, and was wondering if it would be a good choice, is PCIe really going to give me an advantage over PCI, if not ill get that one

any thoughts or direction would be much appreciated, thanks:)

afaik there's no real speed advantage between pci and pcie in this case.

neither will bottleneck a firewire device.

firewire = 480mbits/s or 60mbytes/s

pci is either 133mbytes or 266mbytes, again,,,afaik.

afaik there's no real speed advantage between pci and pcie in this case.

neither will bottleneck a firewire device.

firewire = 480mbits/s or 60mbytes/s

pci is either 133mbytes or 266mbytes, again,,,afaik.

Hi, thanks for the advice

my PC has 2 open PCIe x1 slots, so i went with this, so i think im good to go, thanks again :-)

i believe the mk3 is the same as the mk2 in that it has a pair of 6 pin firewire ports.

The port on the left of the card is 6 pin.

i think the two ports to the right are nine pin. usually get those on macs; they call it firewire 800.

i believe the mk3 is the same as the mk2 in that it has a pair of 6 pin firewire ports.

The port on the left of the card is 6 pin.

i think the two ports to the right are nine pin. usually get those on macs; they call it firewire 800.

the mk3 has two type B ports and a 9-pin to 9-pin cable included so one of the ports on the right should work, i just want to be sure before i buy the card and avoid having to then order an adapter

the mk3 has a pair of 6 pin firewire ports.

the mk3 hybrid (usb/firewire) has a pair of 9 pin and a usb port.

either way your pcie card will support it.

Last edited:
I run a 828MkIII and didn't even realize you needed a special firewire card. Whatever the $12 card is that came with my whitebox special works fine.

you dont.

you need a firewire port (or usb port)

i'm guessin OP doesn't have FW built in, or his chipset's not compatible.

Back