Which motherboard for my homemade DAW

Allnightrecord

Hi there, I'm building an affordable (under $500) DAW pc from scratch and looking for advice on which motherboard to get. My audio interface is the M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI card and I might be going firewire in the future. I will be running Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate and Cubase. I will go for either the i3 or i5 intel Core processor depending on the price. Hard drives are SATA2 but looking at upgrading to SSD in the future, at least for the audio drive. I'll be fthrowing 4gb of ram at first and then I'll add 4 more if needed. I must say it is a bit of a gamble because, as I have noticed reading forums online, some motherboards will work better than others with this delta pci card. So I am calling out to anyone who can give me a bit of feedback who has a similar system in their home studio, who could report some mobos to stay away from and others that are great! I'm thinking intel anyways,
Thanks in advance,
Brendan

Thanks for feedback Mo Facta and RWhite, I'm adamant to stay with Intel motherboard, had too many bad experiences with Gigabyte and Asus in the past although I'm sure they're better now, I'm willing to pay that little bit extra for peace of mind. Nice board Mo Facta, cheaper than the Z68 Chipset. Can you give me any hints as to why you think H67 chipset is better than Z68 for DAW apart from price? Are you running the Delta 1010LT on this board and its a case of 'it works well for me'?

Use your SSD for the operating system and programs, and your spinning hard drive(s) for storage. 60-80gb SSD minimum, tho 128gb is the best price point. You can pick up a 1tb drive for less than $100

Thanks for feedback Mo Facta and RWhite, I'm adamant to stay with Intel motherboard, had too many bad experiences with Gigabyte and Asus in the past although I'm sure they're better now, I'm willing to pay that little bit extra for peace of mind. Nice board Mo Facta, cheaper than the Z68 Chipset. Can you give me any hints as to why you think H67 chipset is better than Z68 for DAW apart from price? Are you running the Delta 1010LT on this board and its a case of 'it works well for me'?

I can't tell you if it's better, I can only tell you that I run one myself and it works great. I've got the DH67CL with a Sandy Bridge i7-2600 and I've never had an issue. What attracted me was the USB 3 and eSATA ports and the good amount of PCI/PCI-e slots. You can also build a Hackintosh with this board. It's just a good all-rounder.

I also can't tell you if it'll work with a Delta 1010LT but there's not reason why it shouldn't. Is the 1010LT supported by Windows 7?

Cheers :)

Thanks Mo Facta, the 1010LT is supported by Windows 7, there's a driver supplied for it anyways from the M-audio website. After a bunch of research I ended up choosing your set-up (DH67CL with a Sandy Bridge i7-2600), so roll on the January sales!

Back