Mixing with Effects

camn

I always wanted to do that, but found that I couldn'r. Until I got some outboard effects and a digital mixer. BUT before, I would make a new trak with heavy to 100% effect, then mousemix that in, and that worked pretty good.

I am interested in applying effects on the fly in real-time - to certain portions of a piece before the final mix-down. I currently have Cakewalk ProAud which -I think- will only allow this kind of process in destructive editing mode. Are there any programs -Wavelab, Vegas, etc. that will allow this process non-destructively? Or is that a contradiction in terms? Thanks.

n-Track lets you add effects both destructively and non-destructively. I haven't used Cakewalk but I guess that you can add effects non-destructively. Cubase lets you do it non-destructive mode as well but it costs an arm and a leg. n-Track is only $35 or so. http://www.fasoft.com

However, real-time effect processing is where your computer have to work the most so you may or may not not be able to add many different effects simultaniously depending on your computer.

Cheers

/Ola

I appreciate yr reply. What I'm trying to figure out is...how to apply the non-destructive edits to the mix-down. I guess more clearly stated is are there any programs which allow you to automate the effects editing and then apply the new automated settings to the mix?

I'm sorry but that wasn't any clearer at all. Do you want to add different effects for tracks and then mix down to stereo with those effects but still keep the original .wav files unaffected? What do you mean by "automate"? Do you want to program the effect settings to change during the track?

Is this the scenario you're after?

1. You record a bunch of dry tracks without any effects
2. You set different effects for the various tracks and pan them right or left
3. You set effects for the master channel
4. You mix down all the tracks to a stereo .wav
5. You listen to the mix and realise that you want to change some effect settings and as you applied the effects non-destructively, you simply open the song project again and change the settings and mix down a new stereo .wav. You could also change the settings while mixing down (or just listening) to see their effect in real-time (with some latency depending on your computer power)

Right?

This can be done in any respectable multitracking software.

Or is this what you're looking for?

1. You record a bunch of dry tracks.
2. You play one while playing with the effects settings, like making the reverb room larger and larger, and record that to a new track.
3. You include this new odd track to your project and mix down as above.

This is probably be doable in Cubase and n-Track and peraps many other but I don't realy see the use for it.

Did any of this make any sense?

/Ola

Yeah...Just getting my landlegs so its hard for me to know all the proper lingo...

Let's say I've recorded a .wav; and want to play with changing the levels of (oh, let's say) delay or reverb to portions of the .wav. Like bringing higher degrees of echo or tap to certain phrases in the .wav.

I realize that I could probably do that by re-recording the .wav to another track as it plays and the effects are applied. But I was wondering whether there was a more efficient way to set the different levels so that they would remain upon playback. I was wondering whether some of the higher end programs would allow "automation" to be applied to the changes in effect level so that they could be triggered in play-back.

For example, in reggae dub tracks they are always bringing in bunches of effects and stuff which is only applied to specific portions of a track. Can this only be done through re-recording the track?

Ola, I'm still not at all sure that I'm being clear or within the realm of available technology...but I appreciate your efforts to help.

Your answer is: Logic Audio Platinum.
This is you vocal track in the multitracker:
You want the last few words to echo but you want the delaying effect to mix in smoothly with the original track.

Logic lets you plunk in a DX plugin into a separate BUS channel on the mixer. And in each mixer channel there is a BUS knob.
So if you set the knob to a certain degree, channel gets wet with the delay.

Now the beauty of Logic Audio is that you can automate these BUSes. Somehow it lets you record your movements on this BUS knob in MIDI language(to a midi file?).

So after that, all you have is the dry vocal channel in a wav format. + you'll have a MIDI channel active which is the recorded BUS automation information.

And on playback, the vocal channel's signal is processed according to how you recorded the automation.

I hope this helps.
I found Logic being a very CPU hog. It was a little jittery on my machine during some parts but I would trust it as being my fully functioning multitracker/processor/mixer/etc.

although I do have a Cel400, and a really slow Quantum 5700 HD.

It looks like William Choi found the answer. Mayan, It looks from your last post as this is exactly what you want to do. I'll have to check out this gadget as well. Thanks for the tip

Hi
Definatly go with Logic Audio weather it be Platnum, Silver or Gold .... I run a Maxi Studio ISIS on my old P11 350 the plugins were a bit jittery ...you could only use 2 at a time BUT then I changed my M/Board and Chip to an Athlon 600 same amount of Ram and can run about 11 plugins over about 16 tracks of audio AWSOME

Tony

Is the general consensus that Logic "takes" over Cakewalk? Is Logic knowledge intensive or fairly intuitive? I realize I'm beginning to stray from the original topic...I've been CakeWalk so long that maybe its time to think of something new.

Back