Midi Controller vs. Keyboard w/ midi vs. Synths

BeatDaddy

Damn! Can I be more confused!!

Will someone Please explain the differences in a Midi Keyboard Controller, a Keyboard with Midi IO, and a Synth.

I have read the descriptions of many and have no clue as to which does what!!

All I need is a keyboard(?) that I can plug into my setup that can provide different instrument sounds and percussion. I'd want it to be expandable so I don't have to keep buying new ones. The ones I have narrowed it down to are.....

Roland XP 30 for $965
Roland RS 5 for $695
Roland A-37 for $395

I'm not trying to find the cheap way out, I just want to make sure I'm getting a board that will do what I need and grow with my skill.

Beat Daddy,

The difference is this:

MIDI is a computer language which records information about a performance, ie. what key you hit, when you hit it, how hard you hit it, how long you held it down, etc.

A Synth is a module which takes MIDI signals, and "plays" that performance, generating different sounds. This is how a cheap casio can sound like a sax, or strings, or a piano. It converts performance into audio. This does not necessarily include anything for a musician to play (ie. piano-like keys)

A MIDI controller has a physical keyboard, with MIDI outs, so that you can use that keyboard to control an external synth (rackmount, virtual, etc.)

A keyboard with MIDI I/O is usually a combination controller and synthesizer in the same box.

One last one you didn't mention is a workstation keyboard, which combines a controller, a synth, and a sequencer, which will record MIDI info, so that you can compose songs entirely within the box (like the Korg Triton).

Hope this helps, and doesn't just add to the confusion!

-mg

BeatDaddy said:
Damn! Can I be more confused!!

Will someone Please explain the differences in a Midi Keyboard Controller, a Keyboard with Midi IO, and a Synth.

I have read the descriptions of many and have no clue as to which does what!!

All I need is a keyboard(?) that I can plug into my setup that can provide different instrument sounds and percussion. I'd want it to be expandable so I don't have to keep buying new ones. The ones I have narrowed it down to are.....

Roland XP 30 for $965
Roland RS 5 for $695
Roland A-37 for $395

I'm not trying to find the cheap way out, I just want to make sure I'm getting a board that will do what I need and grow with my skill.

Of the ones listed, only the XP30 is expandable. It has room for additional SR-JV wafeform/program cards as well as a user bank for you to store sounds you create. The RS-5 has the capabiliy to store user patches, but the basic building blocks will only be what it comes with as it has no way to accept SR-JV or SRX expansion boards.

The A-37 is a MIDI controller that produces no sounds on its own. It would only trigger a separate MIDI synth module or VST/DXi softsynths on your PC. This approach has expandability potential, but it means you have to buy additional hardware or soft-synths.

mgraffeo said:
Beat Daddy,

A keyboard with MIDI I/O is usually a combination controller and synthesizer in the same box.

One last one you didn't mention is a workstation keyboard, which combines a controller, a synth, and a sequencer, which will record MIDI info, so that you can compose songs entirely within the box (like the Korg Triton).

Hope this helps, and doesn't just add to the confusion!

-mg

mgraffeo - That helps......thank you! Which do you think will serve the needs I stated earlier best? The keyboard w/midi I/O or the workstation keyboard? Even though I'm sure the workstations are much more expensive,right?

Re: Re: Midi Controller vs. Keyboard w/ midi vs. Synths

brzilian said:
The RS-5 has the capabiliy to store user patches, but the basic building blocks will only be what it comes with as it has no way to accept SR-JV or SRX expansion boards.

The A-37 is a MIDI controller that produces no sounds on its own. It would only trigger a separate MIDI synth module or VST/DXi softsynths on your PC. This approach has expandability potential, but it means you have to buy additional hardware or soft-synths.

brzilian - take a look at this link and tell me if I am understanding wrong about the RS5 taking expansion boards

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/roland_rs-5_rs-9_synthesizers.htm

As for the A-37, are you saying that I would play the melody I wanted on the keyboard and the software/hardware reproduces the sound based on which instrument I choose? Do you think this is a good idea for a mostly digital system?

Re: Re: Re: Midi Controller vs. Keyboard w/ midi vs. Synths

BeatDaddy said:
brzilian - take a look at this link and tell me if I am understanding wrong about the RS5 taking expansion boards

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/roland_rs-5_rs-9_synthesizers.htm

As for the A-37, are you saying that I would play the melody I wanted on the keyboard and the software/hardware reproduces the sound based on which instrument I choose? Do you think this is a good idea for a mostly digital system?

The RS series synths have the "best of" in terms of sounds from the JV/XP/XV synths as well as certain SR-JV and SRX cards. You cannot add additional ones.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=8&subcatid=36&prodid=RS-5

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=8&subcatid=36&prodid=XP-30

Trust me on this one - I've owned the XP30 for almost 3 years now.

I would not go the A37 route, especially when dealing with softsynths. There is no such thing as latency when working with harware synths/workstations.

Cool! brzilian since you are a Roland owner, if you had a choice between the XV-88 and the Fantom which would you choose?

I think they both put out major quality, but the difference in price is about $600.

BeatDaddy said:
Cool! brzilian since you are a Roland owner, if you had a choice between the XV-88 and the Fantom which would you choose?

I think they both put out major quality, but the difference in price is about $600.

Personally, I would take the XV-88 because of the weighted keyboard action.

The Fantom does not impress me, mainly because it does not suit the music I play in terms of sounds. It is also a step backwards from the other XV synths (88,3080,5080) because it only has 64 note polyphony compared to 128 on the others.

Actually, If you're already looking at a Fantom, I would suggest you look at the Yamaha Motif as well. I think its a much better piece of gear.

brzilian - I agree, I like the XV-88 better. The Fantom does have a warmer sound, but you can't beat the overall sound and touch of the weighted keys, they really bring strings to life.

I looked at the Motifs once before, but I didn't think they suited my style of music. The motifs sound like they are better suited for rock, alternative, new age kind of music. I personally am a jazz, hip hop and R&B kinda guy. I have listen to several compositions performed with the Motif and really like what I heard, it's just that I haven't heard anything similar to what I would play.

If you know of any websites or links to samples more on the R&B side, I would like to hear how well the Motif plays mellow.

Back