MBPs - VSTs / Future Proof Options

frank1985

I am contemplating buying a Macbook Pro for the sole purpose of recording and mixing music. However, I have several concerns;

1) Is there a way to bypass any compatibility issues when transferring windows based VSTs to a MBP? Should I install a windows OS on a MBP or is this ill-advised?

2) Which MBP models are 'future-proof'? I.e. I want something which provides the option of upgrading processor speed, RAM etc. My budget is around £1,000-1,300.

In the case of 4GB RAM, and a 2.3Ghz processor, would that be sufficient for mixing guitar (multiple layers) with drums (Ezdrummer), vocals and synths? I'd also like to be able to mix plugin heavy electronic music.

Does the quality of a MBP really justify its price, or is there a cheaper windows based alternative which is just as good for audio production?

EDIT: What do you think of these specs? www.computerpirates.co.uk/lenovo-th...&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=google_shopping

Last edited:
1. Windows VST's don't work on Mac and there's no way round it. If you've bought windows VSTs you could check if there are Mac VST versions.

2. In my opinion, NO Macbook Pro is future proof. It is incredibly expensive to upgrade anything other than RAM in Apple computers because Apple makes their products to be tinker-proof in order to stop average Joes like you and me from servicing them. Mac is not very backwards compatible either, well, not as much as Windows is. This contributes to it's supposedly more stable OS operation.

In my opinion, Apple seeks to make their devices for dummies (no offense to Mac users - I am one myself), which is why everything is slick, tidy, and well sealed. The operating system is also engineered to be tinker-proof, unlike Windows, which is highly configurable for a wider range of applications. This also makes Windows machines more unstable and hence their reputation for being so.

And no, with Apple you're paying mostly for name, IMO. Since they use standard Intel chips and off-the-shelf peripherals (that are double the price because of the Apple logo), they are actually not that much different from high-spec Windows machines.

If you're going to get a MBP, my advice would simply be to get the one with the highest specs you can afford. That is your best step towards being "future-proof".

If you want the best of both, i.e a high spec, non-Mac computer, consider a Hackintosh. Search google to find out what I mean. If you're looking for a laptop, there are certain models that are able to accept installation of the Mac OS. It's not exactly "legal", though, so be warned.

BTW, your link just takes you to their homepage. No examples to comment on.

Cheers :)

In Windows, 4G RAM is sufficient, but you will probalby need to freeze/render VSTi's if you have more than a couple running at a time. I was running EZD and could handle 1 other VSTi with 2G RAM, but more than that would just bog down.

1. Windows VST's don't work on Mac and there's no way round it. If you've bought windows VSTs you could check if there are Mac VST versions.

2. In my opinion, NO Macbook Pro is future proof. It is incredibly expensive to upgrade anything other than RAM in Apple computers because Apple makes their products to be tinker-proof in order to stop average Joes like you and me from servicing them. Mac is not very backwards compatible either, well, not as much as Windows is. This contributes to it's supposedly more stable OS operation.

In my opinion, Apple seeks to make their devices for dummies (no offense to Mac users - I am one myself), which is why everything is slick, tidy, and well sealed. The operating system is also engineered to be tinker-proof, unlike Windows, which is highly configurable for a wider range of applications. This also makes Windows machines more unstable and hence their reputation for being so.

And no, with Apple you're paying mostly for name, IMO. Since they use standard Intel chips and off-the-shelf peripherals (that are double the price because of the Apple logo), they are actually not that much different from high-spec Windows machines.

If you're going to get a MBP, my advice would simply be to get the one with the highest specs you can afford. That is your best step towards being "future-proof".

If you want the best of both, i.e a high spec, non-Mac computer, consider a Hackintosh. Search google to find out what I mean. If you're looking for a laptop, there are certain models that are able to accept installation of the Mac OS. It's not exactly "legal", though, so be warned.

BTW, your link just takes you to their homepage. No examples to comment on.

Cheers :)

Thanks for your reply.... Most of my VSTs are incompatible with the MAC so I'm going to have to stick with a Windows OS

Try this link instead: Buy and compare Lenovo ThinkPad W510 (NTK63MH)

It seems a real bargain as I saw it going for a lot more elsewhere. It has a 2.66 Ghz processor, but i'm not sure which figure corresponds to the RAM...

Are there any other specific models that you would recommend?

Another one I'm considering is the HP Elitebook 8560w....4gb RAM, with a 2.2 Ghz processor...7200rpm

Are those specs sufficient? Also what is the difference between i5 and i7?

Back