(Mac users) Mac OS X Tiger

Im planning on getting it! Looks great, and its not 'too' much money.

To be honest, i wasnt going to get it really, but i checked it out on the site and it just looks so much better!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Check it out if you havent already.

As far as audio recording goes, I'm going to wait until both Apple and MOTU drop an update or two each, for Tiger and Digital Performer, before I convert to Tiger. Panther runs great for me, and as far as I'm concerned, updating to the new OS only invites problems for bugs (at least for the first few months) and other small system kinks that Apple will probably need to fix with a couple updates. Panther and my MOTU setup are running flawless (knock on wood) for me right now. I'll go back to the ol' phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But Tiger looks like it will be a beast and I will look forward to trying it out in the near future.

Same here. I'm worried about Tiger screwing up things... Though I suppose it could fix stuff that's already wrong.

Yeah, i never thought about that. 10.3.9 seems to be running good now. I had a bit of an issue with the fans with 10.3.8 but they fixed that. I might leave it for a few updates and then buy it. see how it runs on peoples systems. Good thinking!

I'm as impatient as the next guy, but in this case I'm going to wait. For all the flashiness off the new stuff (which seems mostly like hype to me at the moment- maybe it really is revolutionary and I won't know till I get used to using it) its not worth the potential instability of my work.

I'm looking forward to watching it, too. Apple is being rather smarmy about releasing longhorn-like technologies a couple years before Microsoft.

-C

It really is all hype. I only use Dashboard and Quicktime 7. I didn't even plan on getting it, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up. Take advantage of educational and federal discounts if you're eligible. Tiger hits stores tomorrow. But they ship out early to people like me. :)

What about the spotlight feature? And the Automator? Are you sure it wont take a little longer than a day to get used to it and learn the features?

I guess ill wait a little longer on it..

Spotlight's much faster than the old search thing because it indexes all your files on startup. Type in stuff and BAM! it's there. I'm a neat freak and organize all my files accordingly, so I really don't search often. But I have confidence in knowing that if ever the time should come I need to search for something really quick, the results will be quick and painless.

It's advertised as "over 200 new features" which technically is true. Personally, I don't consider "virtual sticky note widget" a substantial upgrade. I compare this upgrade to 2k/XP. Essentially the same backbone, but you get a few extra goodies. Like I said before, I wasn't even considering getting it. If you want Dashboard on Windows or OSX pre-Tiger, you can just download Konfabulator.

There's no "learning the new features". Everything is seamlessly integrated.

I haven't run into any compatibility issues yet, which is pretty cool.

OS prices never seem to drop. So don't think waiting it out will help your wallet.

noodles2k5 said:
Spotlight's much faster than the old search thing because it indexes all your files on startup. Type in stuff and BAM! it's there. I'm a neat freak and organize all my files accordingly, so I really don't search often. But I have confidence in knowing that if ever the time should come I need to search for something really quick, the results will be quick and painless.
Does this work the same way as Win2k/XP? I know that in the Windows world, it's usually a good idea to disable this on disks that you're doing audio work on, so I'm assuming it would be the same in X.

I'm pretty certain it works the same as 2k/XP. It updates the index with meta-data each time a file change is made. You have the option to prevent it from searching selected locations though. I'm not sure if you can disable the service completely, but I really doubt performance takes a hit from it.

noodles2k5 said:
It really is all hype. I only use Dashboard and Quicktime 7. I didn't even plan on getting it, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up. Take advantage of educational and federal discounts if you're eligible. Tiger hits stores tomorrow. But they ship out early to people like me. :)

Hahaha I'm doing the same thing with Logic Pro 7 (unless they have a new one out by next semester) - it's hard to beat 50% off the regular price.:D

Tim

noodles2k5 said:
I'm a neat freak and organize all my files accordingly, so I really don't search often. But I have confidence in knowing that if ever the time should come I need to search for something really quick, the results will be quick and painless.

Yea, I'm the exact same way. Old and unused file clutter on my hard drive is a pet peeve. I take extra care in making sure all the samples on my disk are neatly organized. I think the search function in the Finder in Panther was already quick to begin with.

noodles2k5 said:
I haven't run into any compatibility issues yet, which is pretty cool.

Is your audio software already installed? That would be cool, though unlikely IMOO, that all software and drivers would install into Tiger with absolutely no problems or glitches.

Back