Mac OS X Tiger

jingleheimer

Does anybody use Tiger? I am looking to upgrade my G4 from OS 9 to X but from what i see Tiger is not all that great alot of people on apple.com have said that older programs are not compatable and that it has a lot of bugs. I was just wondering if i was only see the negative side of the story or if the general review of tiger is bad. Thanks to everyone for thier help -Jingleheimer-

If you are afraid of Tiger, why not upgrade to Panther? I know Apple pushes Tiger in their stores and online, but if you call I believe Panther is still available.

I have two machines (a flat panel G4 i-mac 800 MHz and a i-mac G5 1.8GHz) running Panther and two (an ibook G4 and an i-mac G5 2GHz) running Tiger. I record with Tiger and Digital Performer 4.52 and I've never had any problems--knock on polycarbonate!

You might want to check out OSX audio for a closer look at the issue.

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/index.php

I am hesitating to upgrade to Tiger because of the way coreaudio seems to lack the ability to have more than one audio device active at a time.

I played around with trying to set up a multi-audio device (or whatever the hell it is called) but neither the delta1010 or the Mac's internal soundcard would work with that multi-device selected within Logic.

http://homerecording.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=179469

There's also a shedload of VST instruments & effects I'll be losing.

I'm going to have to make the jump sometime, but I'm procrastinating as long as possible.

Dags

dwillis45 said:
If you are afraid of Tiger, why not upgrade to Panther? I know Apple pushes Tiger in their stores and online, but if you call I believe Panther is still available.

I am just beginning to look into upgrading so i asummed that apple was pushing thier newest OS X with tiger is that true or is panter more upto date? Thankyou -Jingleheimer-

I'm still running Panther (10.3.9) myself. There's a lot of changes in Tiger some good others not so good. I've been waiting for 'em to work some of the bugs out myself. I don't like paying to be a beta-tester.

The two biggest additions to Tiger from Panther are Spotlight, and Dashboard neither of which I really want or need. Disk Utility has been improved as well. It really depends a lot on your software, and how much RAM you have. Tiger is very RAM hungry compared to Panther. I would say 2G would be the minimum for good performance with audio apps.

jingleheimer said:
I am just beginning to look into upgrading so i asummed that apple was pushing thier newest OS X with tiger is that true or is panter more upto date? Thankyou -Jingleheimer-

Tiger is the newest version of OSX but you can still purchase Panther. A couple of months ago I was upgrading a flat panel i-mac 800 MHz. The machine was loaded with OS10.2 (Jaguar). The Apple web site, the Apple Store, and several online dealers only carried Tiger but I was leary given the age of my i-mac and the newness of Tiger. So I called Apple and they were perfectly happy to sell me Panther in a box. After you install the OS and run Software update (or it runs you!) you will probably get a notice that there is a new version of Panther available. I'm not sure what the newest version is (10.3.9?) but it's fairly quick and painless to download and install the free update--provided that you have Software Update and a decent internet connection.

I wouldn't worry about using Panther unless there is some brand new Apple application or version that requires Tiger. It seems like Apple changes it's OS every other day and Panther really isn't that old. (If you bought a new Mac last Christmas, for example, it came with Panther) And before you know it, Apple will be introducing Leopard, Lion, Bobcat, House Cat or perhaps Pussy!

Back