M-Audio 410 or MOTU 828??

Dracon

I've had M-Audio stuff, and I know that it's reliable.
MOTU on the other hands I've heard some mix reviews.

The biggest concern it has been with the support from MOTU.
If you could get a MOTU 828 or an M-audio 410 for the same price, which one's would you guys go for?

P.S. I posted this in the Equipment forum by mistake - However, I closed that thread.

I'm using a MOTU 1224 into a G4 800 quicksilver running DP4 and I couldn't be happier - no bugs, crashes, freezes at all, and I'm going on three years up with the system so far. From all of the input I've heard from other MOTU users, you're in good shape if you're using MOTU with a Mac. With a PC, I'd avoid MOTU like the plague. However, if you're running a Mac, you can get a lot of great feedback over at unicornation.com . Good luck!

I have had no problems with my MOTU 828mkii and PC's. As for support, I have had MOTU randomly call me up and ask if there was anything they could do for me or if they could answer any questions.

Okay!

So anyone want to break the tie on PC vs MAC with MOTU?

I would like to go with the 828 (due to the obvious advantages) because it gives me more features. Is the MOTU software made for MAC or why is there an issue between MOTU and PC?

I'll go to their website and see if they have an upgrade for SP2 (maybe that's the issue).

I hate to say it without firsthand experience, but I believe that the MOTU software *IS* made for Mac...but I only say this because of all of the PC users I read about who hate MOTU because their stuff won't work right on a PC. I think the software itself is the issue rather than the interface, however.

Chris F said:
I hate to say it without firsthand experience, but I believe that the MOTU software *IS* made for Mac...but I only say this because of all of the PC users I read about who hate MOTU because their stuff won't work right on a PC. I think the software itself is the issue rather than the interface, however.
I looked at their website and found that they carry drivers for all the window platform (XP included). I did not find anything that mentioned SP2 and perhaps that is the biggest problem that folks are running into.

I don't know Firewire 410 or the MOTU 828 (same price) that's very tempting (lots of features on the 828mkII).

MOTU's interfaces are compatible with Windows, but their software is compatible only with Mac (except for maybe some of the software that comes with the interfaces, but that goes back to the whole issue with people having problems running it with Windows). I went out and bought a new Mac specifically for the purpose of compatibility with MOTU, considering I own 2 MOTU interfaces and about 3 MOTU software programs.

My 2 cents: buy a piece of hardware if you are CERTAIN it will work with your system. Avoid the headache of finding out you can't return it and realizing it doesn't work for what you are trying to do. It's happened to me more than once.

RhythmRmixd said:
MOTU's interfaces are compatible with Windows, but their software is compatible only with Mac (except for maybe some of the software that comes with the interfaces, but that goes back to the whole issue with people having problems running it with Windows). I went out and bought a new Mac specifically for the purpose of compatibility with MOTU, considering I own 2 MOTU interfaces and about 3 MOTU software programs.

My 2 cents: buy a piece of hardware if you are CERTAIN it will work with your system. Avoid the headache of finding out you can't return it and realizing it doesn't work for what you are trying to do. It's happened to me more than once.
I meant their drivers, not their AudioDesk software

Here it is from their website.

"The 828mkII provides cross-platform compatibility with Mac OS 9, Mac OS X (version 10.2 or later) , Windows Me/2000/XP and all of your favorite audio software and host-based effects via WDM/ASIO/Core Audio/Sound Manager drivers. Or you can use the included AudioDesk workstation software for Macintosh, with 24-bit recording/editing and 32-bit mixing/processing/mastering."

I had a motu 1224 for a while with a PC. I had really really weird latency problems... Things would record later than I played them... lead to me doubting myself and getting rid of many a song. Before that I had a soundblaster and after that I had an aardvark Q10 and a firepod. No problems before or after... just using that god forsaken card. My vote says NO. Get a firepod if you need firewire. Get an aardvark for like 400 if you can do the pci thing. I bought the delta 66 for my dad and that booted up and worked like a dream. So if you're not going to budge from the m-audio thing, go for that.

Well.....maybe I'm either different from everyone else or maybe I'm just lucky...or maybe it's not that big a deal.

In October I actually switched from a Firewire 410 to a Motu 828mkII on my HP notebook (then using Sonar3, now Sonar4, and have tried many apps) and haven't looked back. No crashes, no latency issues, no strange occurences...it's just worked!

If I can get the 828mkII for $250 (like I believe I will) it's really hard to pass up. I love my M-Audio 4/4 but how can I say no to a 828mkII for a 25% of the original price??

If I can't get it for the $250, then I'll just get the M-Audio, for around the same price.

If I could get another 828mkII for $250 .... I'd get two more!
The best I've seen them new for is $649 at Guitar Center (on sale this weekend only).

On a side note: I'm also a very satisfied MOTU user on PC platforms.

Yeah! I was not able to get it for $285.00 - It was going to be more like $400 (although still pretty good), and that was more than what I was looking to spend.

Back