LOL - Creative loses a lawsuit!!!!

well its about damn time!....lets see here...we've gone after big tobacco, big food, big bad cussing musicians..and now the battle has begun on big multimedia!

It's 25% off of a purchase of $250 or more at Creative's online store up to a max of $62.50. They should be giving a full refund of the purchase price so that people can replace those POS soundcards with something else. Those lawyers must really suck.

distortedrumble said:
well its about damn time!....lets see here...we've gone after big tobacco, big food, big bad cussing musicians..and now the battle has begun on big multimedia!
Which big bad cussing musicians?

I bought a SB Audigy platinum a while back. I fell victim to the amazing looking "Live Drive" with all its knobs and I/O's and the impressive sounding acronyms plasted all over the box. A few months later I found this BBS and bought the less impressive looking Delta 2496 for less money and couldn't be happier :D

I'm glad they lost that lawsuit.....F**K EM' :mad:

people were upset that their "Creative cards for professional-quality audio"....weren't professional?? :confused:
i never thought a $63.50 sound card was considered professional

brzilian said:
Creative lost a lawsuit related to misleading marketing:http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22019

I remember good old at days at Emu...since I couldn't visit then too often (Europe) I would frequently call for my latest portion of news, inquiring about next generation of Emulator and general news about people I knew well. Well, after in my view mistaken decision to go under Creative's roof, times slowly shaped the future whose bitter taste felt to many creative professionals exactly because of lack creative vision from company that ironically shares the same name.

Then one of the first indication what future offers, presented another "Creative" merger with now Ensoniq, very important company who was even in more important segment of higher mid pro segment, very important balance for particular market. After experiment name EmuEnsoniq that lasted just about as regular summer Tennis season, Ensoniq disappeared forever. All those great plans now when all the financial cycle for next generation of new products for both Emu and Ensoniq was secured from Creative was about to present its glory and inspire musicians around the world

More and more people left over the time (Ensoniq and Emu folks) and those that left among my two dearest, we couldn't even speak in relaxed manner we always did, Emu was so open that we could either praise of highlight products and even they would openly speak about almost anything.

So either private numbers or private emails voyaged our conversation, because everything was strict and more strict over the time. They even told me that there was instruction to reduce any unnecessary cuts to such minimum that to surprise of many owners (more proper word is shock) that in 1996 they cut even email newsletters. No I'm not joking! All this under roof of Creative that purchased one of the finest company a pioneers in their field...this was the last blow.

Most of the people from Ensoniq left too proud of slaving in direction that was below their creative aspirations and plans, particularly with technology they had, just to slave for cheap soundcards.

So many people realized, this is the same fate for E-mu, and so it was, killing even the last hardware instrument and making cards for Creative, yes I have X-studio (1820m) for nostalgic reason, and it is not bad at all (same Akashi Pro Tools converters) but this was also possible without killing great products that could have come. Now I can only hope Emu would in near future grip from Creative and find new financial power, one with more freedom and Creative vision that would offer the same Creative freedom. Don't you by now hate word Creative?

As for this higher bits game, from one hand I'm glad those people were burned to buy false promise, because consumer world we live made many people naive to the point to believe just about anything.

Theoretically 16-bit digital can produce very musical sound and a few of the world finest audiophile labels are proving the very fact. More bits always helps but only if they are clean !!!

Jitter,digital noise (approximately five times the frequency of simple word clock), makes this not an easy task. Place High Quality Scope on digital output that claims 24-bit and you will discover how many rubbish creeps all up and down the waveforms.

PSU is foundation, the essence of every device that aspire world class sound and in 24-bit sound it is more important then ever, but something the present consumer and most of pro gear just can't offer (due to pressure of affordability/competition) Incredible stress is placed upon PSU when >TRUE< 24-bit or higher standards are to be achieved. There is a good reason why true pro and consumer devices (high-end audio) have PSU larger then average Hi-fi unit, there is reason why any device with highest qualitative aspirations always have dedicated PSU, make same importance to topology of BOTH active and passive elements!

Promise of theory usually offers a bitter taste in reality, every technology while advances with some solution to old problems automatically creates new ones, that's inevitable. In theory every display with DVI should offer the same picture quality, in reality often not (2D filter, quality of PCB...) every 5mp camera should offer similar quality, but do they really in reality? (too many associated elements) I could go on, but by now, I hope you understand my point.

Too many people behind microphone would like to hear exactly the same thing they here in studio on CD, but present Red book standard restricts this to say least, this is certainly less evident with 180 gram Vinyl pressing, but that's another story. Don't get me wrong I would like more bits, but only when it becomes a full circle of mature technology adaptation with substance, not a mere promise or declaration that exists today.

Until some concrete standards is signed in world with plethora of incompatible standards and formats,
and Philips Red book is really replaced by new all accepted standard, all this more bit game is either academic strive, a mere promise or consumer industry or multi channels movie shade.

I love to hear acoustic timbre graced on 24-bit output, this can really benefit higher and higher, but be realistic when you expect unexpected (unrealistic promise in price range)

distortedrumble said:
the parental advisory label...do you remember when all that went down?
Yeah...I remember that crap... ol' Tipper Gore and the PMRC.I think Blackie Lawless summed them up best on WASP live in the raw > Harder Faster.

Damn...now I feel old...time for another beer :D

Will they now go after them for not stating the E-mu 1820 only has a stereo wave driver? This isn't explained on the packaging either, but E-mu/Creative won't quible if you want a refund.

Back