Logic Studio or Other DAWs?

gvdv

Hi,
I have been using Garageband for the last few years, and feel that I want to upgrade to another DAW for various reasons, and would appreciate hearing all of your opinions on this subject.

For example, I would like to be able to change tempo during a song, and would also like to increase my collection of plug-ins.

I was thinking of moving up to Logic Studio (because it can accommodate both of the considerations I itemized above), but am also open to hearing about other DAWs (my one 'must have', though, is the ability to switch tempos within tracks).

I have been looking at Cubase, and Studio One in addition to the above (I do not want to get into dongles, so am avoiding looking at Pro Tools).

I would appreciate you sharing your opinions, and suggestions here.

Thanks,

gvdv

By the way, I have a Mac Pro, 2.66 with 5GB RAM, and 1 TB storage space.

Any of those would work.

Reason works exceptionally well when it comes to beats. Just switch tempo, deactivate the time stretch of the previous tracks and you're done. Only problem with Reason is that it doesn't allow 3rd party plugins.

But really, the ones you mention will work.

Logic rocks! Everything but Logic sucks sucks sucks :D

In all seriousness, any of the ones you've looked at will do what you want them to do. The only thing i'd say is that if you're comfortable with using Garageband, Logic is basically like "Garageband Pro". they share the same loops and samples, garageband projects will open in Logic, and the workflow, although you have access to more advanced features in Logic, is quite similar

Sorry, I thought I was in the Cubase forum.

That's how we behave over there when no one's watching.

Cheers :)

Sorry, I thought I was in the Cubase forum.

That's how we behave over there when no one's watching.

Cheers :)

Oh..

Well you haven't seen the Logic forum then. ;)

To the OP: Logic is great, you'll like it. It's advanced, but Justsomeguy hit it pretty good: Similar interface and workflow, but much more advanced tools and features.

Oh, and Cubase is the devil... Jk, it's a great program too, just not as good as Logic (ok ok I'll stop :p)

I just thought of something.

OP, when you say you want a DAW to switch tempos, do you mean that you want the grid in the sequencer to automatically switch tempos at a certain point? I don't think there is a DAW that can do that.

I just thought of something.

OP, when you say you want a DAW to switch tempos, do you mean that you want the grid in the sequencer to automatically switch tempos at a certain point? I don't think there is a DAW that can do that.

Maybe I'm not sure what you mean, but most every daw out there can change tempos during a song. In Cubase, it's called a tempo track.

Maybe I'm not sure what you mean, but most every daw out there can change tempos during a song. In Cubase, it's called a tempo track.

I'm talking about automating the tempo.

That's really cool if other DAW's can do it. I know Reason can't though.

Hmm... Looks like I was wrong in my statement, "I don't think there is a DAW that can do that."

Reason has its faults I suppose :(

What! WHAT DID YOU SAY!?! GAHHH!H!!

13jjS.gif

Hi Everyone,
Many thanks for your replies.

Just to clarify something from my original post which I now realize has confused people, when I say that I want a DAW to be able to switch tempo during a song, what I meant was that I want the ability to use different time signatures during the same song/piece of music (For example, I do not think that GarageBand can switch, say, from 4/4 to 3/4 – the time signatures to remain the same throughout the song. Of course, the way around this is to 'manually' construct a track in a different tempo using MIDI).

I had not thought of Reason – I have tried Reaper, and have seen Logic Express in action at a friends house, and used it a little,and I think that what I will do is download demo versions of the various DAWs in which I am interested, in order to put them through their paces.

Although Logic attracts me for various reasons (but plug-ins, and what I've heard about the ease of editing MIDI), I am not necessarily wedded to the idea of being able to open my GarageBand files in another DAW, and I do not mind taking the time to learn another DAW, as I intend to find something they like and stick to it for the next few years.

I have just realized that nobody has mentioned Cakewalk's Sonar - does anyone have any experiences with that DAW, and if so, what were they?

Once again, thank you for all of your replies,

gvdv

Last edited:
Back