Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Limitations of GarageBand?

brand0nized is offline Junior Member
    Thanks

Limitations of GarageBand?

Sign in to disable this ad
    What are the limitations of GarageBand? Just want to know to see what I'm getting myself into.
    Check out my uber beginner stuff!
    Please leave some comments!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/brand0nized

moresound is offline Loud Sun Studios
    New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    Well -- once you use it and have become assimilated you won't be able to hang out with us any more.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

crystal_andersn is offline New Member
    Thanks
    i've just started digital recording (switched from analog after 5+ years) and have found garageband to be pretty okay. i dont use digital effects or vst's so i don't see a problem with it. it beats audacity that's for sure. yet, i have the option of working in adobe audition as should i make that jump now before i get too comfortable in gband?

i just hear a lot of people bad-mouthing gband - is it because it is being sold at the lower-end of the consumer market therefore is not to be taken seriously?

Thanks
    wanted to add: i almost got into working with cubase about a year or so ago when i gripped a Zoom H4n but the registration process was such a fiasco it really turned me off of that software before i even had it up and running. bad customer service experience on my end.

the limitations i have found on garageband, however, is that because it's an entry-level DAW it's hard to find answers to more difficult questions when every google search yields things like "how to i record my new guitar on my new laptop?" or "how do i be a band?" and inane things like that.

RushPfeiffer is offline New Member
    Thanks
    I personally think GarageBand is very limiting because the effect/inserts and what not don't allow you to change things like Pre-delay on reverb and just things that make the ultimate customization on the software very small and to a minimum so that noobies can adjust effects and what not without getting too confused.

Example: The reverb for GarageBand is just one nob. Whereas in Cubase/Protools/ect your able to adjust the reverb time, predelay, mix, room size, ect.

It's more for people that are just starting out and don't really wanna get in confused by all the little customization that come with inserts/mastering and the mixing process in general.

Thanks
    ^ that's the main picture that i'm getting. i really don't care. my experience w/ analog has led me to severely distrust digital audio chicanery and, for my own purposes, i get better reverb out of the pedals that i use and own that i can out of even say lexicon reverb. not because it's any better or worse but because i've worked with my pedal and spend lots of time dialing in tones/sounds that i enjoy and work to my benefit.

i know waaay too many dudes that spend 1 hour recording an actual instrument and then 1 year monkeying around with the sound in a DAW. i can't stress enough how important it is to know the sound you want and dial it in as much as you can BEFORE you hit the record button, especially when working digitally.

that said - i thought gband had a master track reverb slider as well as an effect module that can be tinkered with (pre-delay, decay, warmth). pretty sure it does and is NOT just a one-button off/on thing. that would be ridiculous.

if this is truly the argument with DAW snobs - and it kind of sounds like it is - it would be like discrediting construction paper and crayons just because children use them and create a lot of bad work. big deal.

Spritey is offline New Member
    Thanks
    Garageband is fun for dicking around with when I'm in a position where I'm forced to use a Mac.

I guess it works for simpler things, but it's too simple even for me, and I'm somewhat of a beginner.

haunt is offline Green Gear Grinder
    Thanks
    Fixed sample rate of 44.1kHz
    ..AND YOU CANT BEAT THAT WITH A BAT!

badjuju is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Album recorded on Garageband

You can end up with a pretty decent sound on Garageband.

The Bad Jujus' album "Leftover Love" was recorded and produced entirely on Garageband:

badjujus.bandcamp.com

Armistice is offline Son of Yoda
    Thanks
    Dude if you're going to promote your own album, at least be smart enough to post enough posts to get a link happening...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information