Layla,Darla etc. vs standalone HD recorder

Roland Saul

I keep hearing that you just can't get the same clarity of sound thru the PC-type recording cards. Is this true?
Do you have to spring the whole $3500 Canadian for a decent HD recorder?
I mean, the circuitry in the pc cards is "rated" pretty good for noise and
sensitivity, but is that just hype?
Does the PC itself really generate that much noise?
I've seen a couple of cards that seem great in the ad, just plug a phone plug right into them and clickety-click.
Yes, I am a brand new wannabe home recordist thingy-type deal, so I do not have a clue...

http://www.mp3.com/codyyoung
Not only can you get the same sound or better but you also have a heck of a lot more you can do with a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)
There is no one wonder box that does it all. I have done some Very good pro stuff on Layla and with Logic and as far as noise, whats that? ;-) No you dont have to spend that much on a HD recorder at all. And no its not hype ;-)
The above recordings where done on PC with my honey Layla (4) that should answer your question.. good luck

They DO sound excellent.
That answers it all.
maybe the nay-sayers are all guys that put out the 3,000 for equipment that does the same thing.
HAHAHA

Thanks a lot, man, and by the way, the songs are quite nice too.

Stand-alone:
* plus: more portable; usually less "fuss potential"

* minus: Not as expandable... you're pretty much locked in to what you buy; Generally more expensive per track

PC:
* plus: can expand easily as technology improves; upgrades, baby!

* minus: generally harder to set-up; learning curve can be steep; on-screen mixing isn't as fun :(; possibly a nightmare if you don't plan well

Pound for pound, gimme a PC. But if you're not comfortable with the tech end, it's worth the price in beer to make friends with someone who is.

Back