Latency issue

famous beagle

Hey y'all,

I've been recording with Reaper for over a year now with good results. I just moved to TX and bought a house, and now that I've got my digital rig up and started recording again, I'm experiencing an increased latency for some reason.

It used to be hardly noticeable at all. But now it's distinctly noticeable, and it sucks! I didn't touch any of the settings, so I don't know what could have happened.

I'm using a PC with Reaper and an M-Audio Delta 1010LT. I've tried making adjustments to lower it (the latency), but any time I go below 512 samples, it starts glitching like crazy.

Question:

Could a loaded hard drive cause more latency? I've recorded a whole bunch on my 100GB external drive, and I haven't gotten around to backing anything up yet. Would that contribute to the problem?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

IME, when a drive gets above 80%, things start to get shaky. Get another drive and see. You can get 1TB for under 100. You will be best getting an enclosure and a 7200 rpm drive for it as most of the 'backup' external drives are going to be 5400.

At very least, defrag the drive.

As of a couple of weeks ago, Samsung and WD both have terabyte-sized 9.5mm-high (internal) laptop drives for about a hundred bucks a pop, and desktop hard drives are only about $75 for two terabytes. Why are you wasting your time messing around with a tiny 100 gigabyte external drive? At under four cents a gig for desktop drives, that external drive is worth less than a Big Mac and a Coke. :D

An internal drive will always be faster and more reliable than any external for recording purposes (unless you don't have enough RAM and your computer is paging constantly, in which case, buy more RAM while you're buying a bigger hard drive). :)

As of a couple of weeks ago, Samsung and WD both have terabyte-sized 9.5mm-high (internal) laptop drives for about a hundred bucks a pop, and desktop hard drives are only about $75 for two terabytes. Why are you wasting your time messing around with a tiny 100 gigabyte external drive? At under four cents a gig for desktop drives, that external drive is worth less than a Big Mac and a Coke. :D

An internal drive will always be faster and more reliable than any external for recording purposes (unless you don't have enough RAM and your computer is paging constantly, in which case, buy more RAM while you're buying a bigger hard drive). :)

I'll probably upgrade at some point here. When I got the external drive, I didn't anticipate using my digital rig as much as I do now. I'm an analog guy, but I got the digital for work purposes (I write guitar instructional books for Hal Leonard and so I record audio CDs to go along with them sometimes) because I knew it would be cheap and versatile. Since then, I've gotten a lot more recording work, so the drive began to fill up quickly.

I just really hate upgrading anything on a computer, because it never goes smoothly for me. Ever.

Back