Laptop advice

blndsde91

So I'll try to make this as easy as possible.. I currently have a very efficient desktop for what I do. The problem I have with it is, I have to use this desktop for lots of other things that also require alot of computer space, memory, and so on. I'm looking into getting a laptop..to stop any mac vs. PC arguments. My software is all PC and AVID has told me I can send back and have them switched, but Personally, I've experienced both ways and the only thing ive sincerely noticed is better with mac is file orginization. Anyways, I'm gonna list everything I use, if anyone has any advice on a laptop that will work well with this stuff, I would greatly appreciate it. This computer will be 100% completely dedicated to ONLY recording.

HARDWARE AND EQUIPMENT: ----------------------------------- SOFTWARE:
Line 6 KB37 MIDI Keyboard----------------------------------------- Avid Pro Tools MP9(latest Updates For specified Software)
M-AUDIO Fast Track Pro ---------------------------------------------- Avid Plug-ins x11(EQs, Mastering, Vocal Processors, Sampling, Orchestra, etc.)
iLok(listing this to be thorough) --------------------------------------- EZDrummer (cocktail EZX and Metalheads EZX)
Digi 003 Rack ------------------------------------------------------- Reason 6
M-Audio BX8 D2 Studio Monitors ---------------------------------- Ableton Live Lite(dont ever use it)
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Studio Headphones (x2) ----------------------- Riffworks
DMK57-52 Shure drum Mic Kit ------------------------------------- Line 6 Pod Farm 2.5 Platinum
Shure SM57 (x2) -------------------------------------------------- Fruity Loops 10
Shure SM58 ------------------------------------------------------ IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonik Virtual Instrument
ESP Viper DLX 1000 Guitar
Schecter C1 Custom FR
Schecter Stiletto-5 Bass
ddrum Reflex 5-piece drum Kit
Rocktron Classic Wah
Morley Volume Control Pedal

ALL displayed on a 32-in LED Sony TV

I wanted to make sure I got everything down as I use all of this stuff when recording atleast at some point during the process and need it all to function well on a laptop. I'm not worried about monitor size as I will be Using the Sony. Just that it has HDMI port as well as USB port for Fast Track Pro, Which most all of them do these days. I already have a 1TB External Hard Drive I will dedicate to said Laptop. I need whatever I get to be able to handle all of this without bogging down or struggling..I'm not building a computer, though I've heard you can Customize a Particular PC of your choice through dell. I also heard to stay away from AMD processors in computers for recording. Don't know what's true and what's opinion there, don't particularly care about cost, but I would like to stay within a 1000 or under. Most of What I use said hardware and software for is Film Scoring and Composing. However, I leisurely Record local Bands in my area so the portability is convenient. Okay, well, this should be enough. Sorry for Dragging here folks. Thanks in Advance. I appreciate any advice your willing to give.

Jamie

There are many laptop brands and models, and I know only a few first hand. I can tell you this: A year and a half ago I set up an Alienware laptop for a friend, and it was awesome. But now a year and a half later, even budget laptops today are pretty killer.

--Ethan

I like alienware computers but I think Im gonna stay away from them. I really love the desktop I have now. It's awesome. compact.....really compact and it was fairly inexpensive considering what all came with it
I bought it a little over a year ago with 8g of RAM and 1TB hard drive space and intel(have no idea which processor) inside. Plus, I got a price cut on 2 external 1TB external HD's when I bought it. I just run so many other personal things on the computer as well. Be it spreadsheet, itunes, AutoCAD related Software, my kids' games, wife's work stuff, and the family internet computer. It still runs perfectly fine, but Ive had software and hardware issues in the past and have had to reload software and hardware. I bought my wife a dell for around 650-700 bucks thats a pretty cool laptop. Im looking to dedicate this laptop to nothing but recording, as I make my living with it. internet access, literally just for the software platforms themselves. Hopefully, this will reduce infection risks, spamware, potential threats, and with only running this stuff and tedious organization, it will run at optimum speed.

Back