I've got a new mixer.. Now what!?

thomasregin

Hello folks!

Just got a Behringer MX8000 24/48 studio mixer. Really cool, but it seems to me that I've got one major problem already. On my computers I run Cubase and Gigastudio and I've got a Wami Rack 24 sound card with 4 ins and 4 outs. My question now is this: What would be the ideal setup with this equiptment? I want to be able to control my output/tracks directly from the mixer, but how will I do that with only 4 outputs on my sound card?.. I have heard of a lot of big time producers using the Wami Rack 24, but I have no idea how they can control each track independently, with such a vague collection of outputs... Does anybody know how to handle this problem?.. I suppose buying 10 Wami Racks would solve the problem, but that would also drain my capital, so that's really not an option at the moment.. :-)

Thanks in advance,

Thomas Regin
http://mp3.com/thomasregin

thomasregin said:
Just got a Behringer MX8000 24/48 studio mixer. Really cool, but it seems to me that I've got one major problem already.
OH MAN!!!! Naw.... it's just too easy... I better lay-off.... :D

Bruce

Okay okay okay.. I get your point, Bruce!.. :)

The reason I'm asking silly questions about my new gear, is because I'm used to work with a lousy small mixer with 8 inputs and 2 outputs which was pretty okay for the Wami Rack - and when I wanted to record my songs, I'd go to a real studio. However, when I got the chance to buy a nearly unused Behringer MX8000 for $400, I couldn't resist, could I?.. Now all I need to know is how to hook the darn thing up!.. ;)

Thomas.

Just pokin' fun at ya is all...!! ;)

Anyways, one way you could handle it is to patch the buss outs to each input on the sound card, and route your channels to the appropriate buss for recording.

Bruce

Hmmmm..... Interesting....

Real-life example:
Suppose you've only got 2 busses in the Sound Card(Which is the case here)!?.. Then what?.. If, for example, you've recorded 24 tracks in Cubase and want to control each track independently on the console.. How would you route each track to the right bus when you've only got two?.. Due to my extremely limited knowledge on this subject, I'd say that I need 24 busses AND 24 outputs on the sound card in order to control all 24 tracks independently.. ?

By the way, that's a really cool studio you've got, Bruce. Wow!!! I can't believe you're not charging more!!.. Here in Denmark, a studio like that would cost at least $300/hour to rent. Without an engineer!.. $500/hour with!

Thanks for your help so far!. :)

Thomas.

Thanks! :) Actually, I'm charging about 2/3rds what the 1 major studio in town charges, so I can't get too expensive - I can only charge what the market is willing to bear and Ottawa ISN'T a recording town, to be sure! ;)

As to your routing - I'm by no means a computer recording expert (as you can tell from my gear list - all h/w...), but you're right - if you wanted to mix all you computer-based tracks in the analog world, you would need an out for every channel and route that to the ins on your analog mixer. So you would need more I/O on your soundcards....

The inputs are another story - since you can select which buss each channel would be routed to, I assume you must be able to parallel the inputs on your soundcard to any channel on-board your computer. Your only limitation is that you can only record up to 4 tracks at a time from your mixer (since you don't have any more than 4 inputs on your soundcard).

Bruce

why bother?

I bought an allen and heath mixer very nice and quiet but now I only use it for input and to monitor. I never output digital stuff (giga and others) to the board and then send it back to the computer.....kind of sad but I do most of my mixing and mastering in the digital domain...lots of old analog stuff that just sits there taking up space. If you want multiple outputs you have to buy a sound card that has multiple outs and ins. It is possible to do a very complex mix using the automation features on your software, but I often just digitally edit things. I find that an audio editor can make much better adjustments than just mouse clicking. the other option is a digital mixer. Tascam makes one for about a 1,000 USD. But to get 24 seperate tracks you will have to spend some serious money.

Back