Issues in recording Fantom X thru Presonus interface

shantanusinha

Hi,
I'm recording "audio" using Presonus FireStudio Mobile on my Macbook Pro and Roland Fantom X8 keyboard. I'm connected by balanced TRS cables from Fantom to balanced line inputs on the back of FSM and from FSM to MBP, I'm using firewire. Using Garageband as DAW.

My issue is that piano, organ, strings (virtually every sound, not just these) sounds have changed drastically towards worse. The sound is more metallic, mid-tones are high, lacks fullness, warmth, becomes thin and non-real. I'm using headphones and they sound much better and more real when I play directly from my keyboard thru headphones i.e. without FSM. But once I hook up thru FSM, the sound got changed when monitored via either headphones or studio monitors.

btw, my balanced cables are 4m (13feet) long. Can that be an issue with signal degradation?

Any idea anyone or similar experience?

Thanks a lot
Shan

It sounds like you got a feedback loop happening. For example, you could be using both hardware monitoring (via Presonus) and software monitoring (via Garage Band). Turn one or the other off. Go for hardware monitoring if there is significant latency on software monitoring.

hi, I have not turned on GB at all. Just connected the keyboard and the interface via balanced cables, powered the interface from my MBPro via firewire. That's it, no MIDI and garageband is not running. I'm monitoring using headphones from the interface headphone out.

Can the cable length be an issue?

Any clue in that case?

Cable length is not the problem.

Even if you are not using GB, it still sounds like you're getting a double signal, and they're partially cancelling each other. Try just the Presonus not connected to the computer.

ok. hmmm, Presonus didn't include the power adaptor in the box as this unit can be bus powered. However, they can ship it free if ordered over phone but since I'm not based in the US, it's difficult to procure one. So, will have to manage a standard 12v 1amp power adaptor to try your suggestion.

Will come back with the result. Thanks much gecko for your help.

Back