Interface hissing an now whine! HELP!!

Schecterplayer

Hi everyone i just purchased a tascam us 200 interface and was very happy with it. It sounded clean and great when i first got it yesterday and today i tried recording and i turned on phantom power and all of a sudden im getting a whine. It shows in recordings fairly loudly.

I had a presonus audiobox and that thing had more hiss than a box of snakes. I bough the tascam to replace it and it had some but very little hiss. It seems to be getting louder too. Im seriously at my wits end and am about to say f*** recording all together. Pleaze someone help me!!!!

Hi everyone i just purchased a tascam us 200 interface and was very happy with it. It sounded clean and great when i first got it yesterday and today i tried recording and i turned on phantom power and all of a sudden im getting a whine. It shows in recordings fairly loudly.

Probably whine from a laptop's power supply. Try it on battery, and if that helps, build yourself a grounding pigtail to ground your audio interface's analog side.

My best guess is still a badly designed power supply, laptop or no. It's just a lot harder to do without it on the desktop.... :)

How much a power supply run

Depends on the wattage. I'd probably try a grounding pigtail instead, though. That costs about five bucks and almost always fixes the problem. You just make a short audio cable with a plug on one end and a jack on the other end. Then, on the plug end, you add a heavy gauge wire on the ground side. Finally, you connect the other end of the heavy gauge wire to the ground pin on a mains plug. Tape over the other contacts inside the plug to ensure that even if the ground wire comes loose, it won't feed mains voltage to your audio hardware.

Ya know i have been trying to ignore the ground issue responses cuz i really doubt its that but ill try it and get back to u. Now im just going to buy one. Where and to what to do i install it? In details plz. Im good with electronics but not fixing wiring lol

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, the power supply may, or may not help the issue. Do you even have a PC that the power supply can be upgraded on? Have you tried lifting the ground from you interface power cable yet? Do that first.

Back