Interesting...

But you'd have to burn a new one every time you wanted to do a back up, which for me is daily if I'm actively working on something.... I can do that to external hard drive in a few seconds by just merging folders, and only the changed files get moved over the old versions... but if I've got to burn the entire data drive every time, then that's going to take a while...;)

For archival purposes, this could be awesome. Of course, how many years would it last??? That's the big problem with archival CDs. They only last 5 to 10 years. Not very good for archiving data.

Good points. My only problem with external hard drives is that they're so touchy. If you shake or jar one they quit working. At least that's been my experience.

For archival purposes, this could be awesome. Of course, how many years would it last??? That's the big problem with archival CDs. They only last 5 to 10 years. Not very good for archiving data.

5 to 10 depending on quality of disc and environment they're stored in. I have burned cdr discs much older than that are still chugging along. There's no definitive rule of thumb on that subject since it's all unchartered tech territory (burnable CDs really only became mainstream in 2000-ish?). Time will tell, as they say.

Good points. My only problem with external hard drives is that they're so touchy. If you shake or jar one they quit working. At least that's been my experience.

That's why they're fine for backing up data. "Backing up" assumes there's another version on the computer. If the external drive dies/flakes out, just format or replace drive, then make another copy of the data. Rinse, repeat.

I read the specs on them. They will be readable for 50+ years. If you were to do something like this, it would be a once a year or once an important project, something like that. I wouldn't replace a hard drive back up.

BluRays are different. CDs & DVDs are a lot more susceptible to scratches, children's spit, etc. A BluRay that lasts 50+ years would be great for archival purposes (especially for finished product). The next thing to ask (based on CD and DVD technology flow) is when are the rewriteables going to come out?

CDs & DVDs are a lot more susceptible to scratches, children's spit, etc.

Well you should keep archival backups in cases out of the light anyway.
I've got cdr's that I burned on a 1x scsi burner 15+ years ago that are still perfect. (btw: blanks were $25 EACH back then...)

Everything keeps getting bigger.
I still remember 5 1/4" floppies that held 180 KILObytes on each side and you had to flip them manually....

Back