Which iMac is best for using Logic Pro?

hollydrummond

I am looking into buying an iMac mainly for recording in Logic Pro. I usually record 1-2 tracks at a time. My current 2011 13" Macbook Pro 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 with 8GB RAM is struggling when I use VSTs such as Studio Drummer and Hollywood Strings. It often completely stops during playback or freezes.

The iMac I am looking to purchase is a 27" 3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz with 16GB RAM and a 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm which will cost me £1,416.00 with Student Discount. It seems very expensive so I'm not sure if it's worth the money/if it will do the job? I would like the iMac to last me for a long time.

I am also not sure if i5 is enough or if I should go for i7 but would mean spending another £300 which is a lot to me. Also, is 16GB RAM too much or would I be fine with 8GB?

Any tips would be great, thanks!

I thought macs never ever had problems? lol

for the same amount of money you could build a really high end PC, that's what I would do instead of getting the i-mac personally. But if you prefer mac then stick with it

I am looking into buying an iMac mainly for recording in Logic Pro. I usually record 1-2 tracks at a time. My current 2011 13" Macbook Pro 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 with 8GB RAM is struggling when I use VSTs such as Studio Drummer and Hollywood Strings. It often completely stops during playback or freezes.

How heavily laden is your session?
I have this macbook and can push it pretty far before I have to reach for the buffer settings.
Are you aware of the buffer size settings?

Admittedly, I put an SSD in mine, but it was still damn capable before that.

for the same amount of money......

OP uses logic.

Last edited:
Back