IBM Thinkpad Question

--Dave--

Hey All,

Hopefully somebody can help me here...I have an IBM Thinkpad, 800mhz and 128mb RAM. Obviously not the most powerful machine but at the moment it does ok recording using Krystal, the free 8 track recording software.
Anyway, my Thinkpad only has a Crystal Sound Fusion sound card in it at the moment, so MME it is. It's ok for recording but the latency is awful. I can't monitor what I'm playing when recording as the delay would be close to a second.
I've been researching on the net how to update this so I can use ASIO, as apparently this would cut the latency down. I know only a little about soundcards etc. but it seems it's not really possible to update the soundcard in this laptop....so i'm searching for an alternative now.
Preferably I would like the ability to run 2 lines in at the same time, say two guitars or guitar and vocals. Is there something out there that would allow me to do this externally, ie through A USB connected alternative piece of hardware or the like?
As you can tell, I dont know a lot about this form of recording so any information, products etc. anyone could provide would be most appreciated. Like many people out there, my bank account is not large! so anyone who has done something like this before on a relatively limited budget it would be great to hear what you did.

Thanks in advance everyone

Dave

I have one of these and have been quite satisfied with it:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--TASUS122

It meets your requirements nicely - two mic inputs with phantom power and analog inserts on both, and two 1/4" inputs that are switchable from line to guitar. It is USB 1.1 compatable and has ASIO w/latency of 20 ms or so @ the lowest setting.

Memory is quite cheap these days, and most music applications that you will find require more than 128 megs -- consider looking online for the memory that your laptop needs...

Back