I/F for Dubbing 8, 16 or 24 Tracks from Analog.

A Reel Person

It's Too Funky in Here!!!
I've casually been tossing around the idea of dubbing from 8-track analog into DAW, with my outputs being on unbalanced RCA jacks running -10dBV line level, with 16-simul and 24-simul expandability only as a hypothetical. Take F/I my basic need is 8-simul.

I've looked at the M-Audio Delta 1010LT, but this is an older interface, and is it still viable? Plus, being PCI would lock me into my desktop, precluding my laptop. I'm wary of jumping on a 10 year old technology, at the outset.

I've looked at the Tascam US-XXXX series. I'm not sure they have the I/O that I desire. I don't think I need loads of onboard mic pre's, but being USB and more modern would be more future proofing for me as my needs change and grow. (Mic/Line capability is ok).

I'm basically a Tascam analog guy, w/Tascam preference. I've only read casually about all the non-Tascam interfaces out there, because I've had little interest. Tascam seems to get things right, but I also think they've had some misses. I got the US-428 and hated it! I'm not sure why, but I could not get a decent recorded sound thru that, and returned it for a refund. Maybe it's a great unit, and I was not doing something right.

However, if this A-D dub project were to come to fruition, after it ran it's course there's the small possibility of transitioning to DAW recording, with all my mixers and outboard gear being similarly RCA I/O on -10dBV. Not being a DAW person, I'm way more comfortable and prefer outboard mixers and stuff.

As DAW software goes, I've used Audacity and Magix, but just barely scratching the surface of operability. Need to mention here I got a Tascam Fire One years ago for stereo dubs and possible DAW work, but never used it, as yet TBA. It comes packaged with Cubase LE. I just recently got a Firewire compatible desktop. Not sure if either of these DAW software are good, bad or indifferent.

I've also considered a Tascam DP-24 Portastudio to make the transfer from analog and give me easy operation with expandablility for recording and tracking going forward. I'm way more comfortable with the Portastudio format, tho I see they have many limitations. Any ideas on that?

I'm only turning these ideas over in my head as hypotheticals, as yet TBD, but I'm interested in people's opinions. I'm still analog focused, for the most part, tho' I've dabbled in digital with Tascam DP-02CF and Fostex FD4. Have a Fostex FD8 I've never used, and used the Tascam US-428 and hated it. The technology changes so fast.

Value is as important as budget. Trying to get my money's worth as much with buy in cost as with practical longevity. 16- and 24-simul may be like pie in the sky now, but I'd like to have an easy and backward compatible upgrade path, if possible. Is that asking too much?

This is not my typical forum or post. Thanx for any and all input.
:spank::eek:;)

are your tape drives tascam? do they have tdif (the tascam multichannel sytle plugs). If they do, look for some used motu 2408 mkII's. 24 bit 96khz , or used or new motu 2408's MKIII's 24 bit up to 192khz. they have 8 analog inputs (RCA), 3 tdif inputs, and 3 light pipe (adat) inputs.

these units can be modded at black lion to get the analog and part of the digital sections improved enough to rate up there with high end AD/DA converters .

Thank you.

Yes, my tape drives are Tascam.
No Tdif plug, just banks of RCA ins/outs.
I can go RCA/RCA or use an RCA-1/4"TS unbalanced snake.
Sums it up.
Thanks again!
:spank::eek:;)

PS: That MOTU 828mkIII sounds good too, RCA/RCA aside, caus my Fostex FD8 talks ADAT I/O too, giving me some flexibility there.

Last edited:
The Motu 828's are awesome AI's. We've got a couple of the PCI 24 I/O's at work and they're great converters. We went through a couple of the 8 pres and we didn't replace it for the third time as i just wasn't as impressed with the pres, but as you don't need the pres and all the line in's are on the back, the 828 would be near the top of my list. Otherwise i'd be tempted by the Echo Audiofire12; looks super simple, no frills, no fuss 12 I/O on TRS. I've only ever used one the older Echo PCI thing they did on a mates computer but it was solid and very clean sounding. Both the motu and echo are easily added to if you want more in's (the motu obviously has the advantages of optical I/O's so you're not tied to motu, whereas the echo can be daisy chained to another echo card which does tie you to the brand but does give you 24 I/O on only 2 AI's)

As far as DAW's go, it does depend on how much flexibility you want ITB but if you're doing the majority of your mixing OTB prior to dumping in a DAW and/or want the flexibility to send individual tracks or stems back out the box once dumped, then Cubase LE should be fine.

Back