I am looking for an alternative to Winamp

YanKleber

Retired
I have used Winamp for years to listening to my MP3 collection but I am definitively sick of it.

I searched for some replacement for it but everything I see everywhere just turns me off. I don't want a software able to rip tracks, with a mega-ultra-hyper-super system to organize tunes or tons of useless pluging. Also I wouldn't like something that looks like a computer program. I am more to something that resemble a real equipment such as those vintage style VSTs, preferably something that appears BIG in my screen and with a good stereo equalizer.

I really would appreciate if someone could suggest something that at least gets close to it (it if does exist of course)...

:rolleyes:

I use Winamp all the time. It is my preferred player.

You can always download different skins for it if you are bored with its appearance.

Given that the programmers of Winamp went on to develop Reaper, it bears the same programming ethos: simplicity, stability and reliability.

I use Winamp all the time. It is my preferred player.

You can always download different skins for it if you are bored with its appearance.

Given that the programmers of Winamp went on to develop Reaper, it bears the same programming ethos: simplicity, stability and reliability.
Gecko, one of the things that has annoyed me a LOT in Winamp is that tiny interface. Do you know if there are bigger interfaces?

PS: I didn't know that Reaper team was the Winamp one.

:)

Last edited:
I've had Winamp since the 90's. Since I am not staring at the interface when I listen to music its ugly interface has never bothered me. One thing I still like about Winamp, it does what I want it to do and nothing more. Like trying to be smarter than me and do crap I don't want it to.

I've had Winamp since the 90's. Since I am not staring at the interface when I listen to music its ugly interface has never bothered me. One thing I still like about Winamp, it does what I want it to do and nothing more. Like trying to be smarter than me and do crap I don't want it to.

I use it since 90s too. More precisely 96 when I think it was the ONLY mp3 player available! You definitively have a point. I just have been sick about to look at the stuff. My eyes like some pleasant vision too so it wouldn't be bad if there would some nice player. Oh well, at the end of the day seems that I will keep with Winamp as there is not any decent alternative anyway.

:listeningmusic:

I used winamp for a while as well. Honestly, windows media player is my preferred media player now. I've been using it for years, and it's just right for me. I have a large media collection, and it does a great job of organizing everything in every way that I need. Artist, album, year, song, genre, playlists...i can't think of anything that it doesn't do for me.

I used Winamp until I upgraded to Windows 7, then started using Windows Media Player. Which was around the time I stopped listening to MP3 playlists (which is what I had for Winamp) and stopped ripping my CD's, and just listened to the albums in full.

Try VLC. It's a very nice winamp-ish media player. Very lightweight, works with almost anything you throw at it and you can do playlists.

So this play of yours to get 50 posts so we can all neg you.... how's it working out?:D

Not sure what you're talking about. I assure you, I'll be posting elsewhere long after 50 posts (working on revamping my spare bedroom studio into a garage studio so I'll be asking a lot of questions in the studio building section once I get to doing the floor plan). I don't get why a few people on here are taking a few humorous posts from the cave and trying to act like I'm a fake account or something. Is it my username? I was just trying to be a bit of a smart aleck when I chose that name.

Anyway. . .

You know. . . I do actually do audio production (commercially) so once in a while I get the urge to post elsewhere than the cave (religion, politics and beer only catch my interest so much). Am I not supposed to post audio stuff in the audio forums? Do you dislike VLC media player? Should I not have recommended that? You don't work for Nullsoft, do you? :cursing:

Joking aside VLC is a good media player. It handles a lot of codecs other software doesn't, plus it runs on almost anything (windows, linux, OS X, Android, etc. . .). I even run it on my cell phone to play media. You can run it off a flash drive for portability if you're on a public computer, it's open source, and so on. It's user experience is also not too different from Winamp (not as playlist centric. . . more of a drag the stuff you want to play into it at the time sort of player). I was just trying to answer the gentleman's question. He wanted to know a good alternative to Winamp, and so I recommended one.

Last edited:
I like the VLC, built in eq is handy sometimes, the other tool that's interesting is the audio-vid offset delay thingie.

I don't want a software able to rip tracks, with a mega-ultra-hyper-super system to organize tunes or tons of useless pluging. Also I wouldn't like something that looks like a computer program. I am more to something that resemble a real equipment such as those vintage style VSTs, preferably something that appears BIG in my screen and with a good stereo equalizer.

I was going to suggest Foobar2000, a real minimalist player without all the bullshit of most players and that doesn't eat your RAM alive. It looks like a computer program though.

Funny how different people are. I absolutely hate how some plugins try to resemble real equipment. It makes me feel like they're toys. I do, of course, use them as many of them have great sound and functionality, but that whole emulation-thing looks pretty silly to me. Doesn't really matter much though, I just never understood why people preferred it.

..Funny how different people are. I absolutely hate how some plugins try to resemble real equipment. It makes me feel like they're toys. I do, of course, use them as many of them have great sound and functionality, but that whole emulation-thing looks pretty silly to me. Doesn't really matter much though, I just never understood why people preferred it.
One of my pet peeves too; text/values obscured by fake shadows of fake knobs

Back