HP HDX laptop seems overloaded and cant handle mix in cubase 5 at certain times..

stratmaster713

HP HDX laptop seems overloaded and cant handle mix in cubase 5 at certain times.. For now I am stuck using what I have until I buy a dedicated desktop for recording. So here is the situation: during cubase I"ll be mixing a song with say 4 inserts/ channel (gate, EQ, compression, etc) and say 2 FX sends/ channel and about 16 channels give or take, and 6 group tracks. The music will be playing and then all of a sudden cut out and freeze for a second and then come back and then freeze for a second, etc. It only does this if I have every track unmuted it seems, and that a lot of stuff is happening at once. I also noticed it didnt happen as much when I was sampling @ 44.1kHz. When I sampled @ 48kHz, it increased the probability of this happening it seemed. The CPU usage meter on the one toolbar within cubase never really goes above 1/3 of the way up, so it leads me to believe the CPU is fine and its the fact I'm not using an actual soundcard/ interface.

SO is it the computer?
SPECS: Intel Core 2Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz, 4Gigs RAM.

or

is it the fact I'm using the onboard Audio "card" or whatever and not an external firewire interface for IN/OUT? (i'm guessing this is why but figured I'd ask)

thanks!

It could well be the fact that you're using onboard sound.
There's a greater possibility of having crappy drivers if you're using the built in sound, whereas interface manufacturers tend to put emphasis on performance.

I could also just be something simple like your hdd being to slow for what you're doing.
I found that i was very limited when i used my dell laptop and 5400rpm drive, but when I used an internal ssd everything changed.

Is there a hdd usage meter?

It could well be the fact that you're using onboard sound.
There's a greater possibility of having crappy drivers if you're using the built in sound, whereas interface manufacturers tend to put emphasis on performance.

I could also just be something simple like your hdd being to slow for what you're doing.
I found that i was very limited when i used my dell laptop and 5400rpm drive, but when I used an internal ssd everything changed.

Is there a hdd usage meter?

according to the specs on my internal HDD, its a 7200RPM one if that helps...

even though it shows your only using 1/3 of your cpu..have you tried the ole control-alt-delete option, and closing out anything and everything that is not absolutly needed...try shutting down any and all running task in the background..updates, and any other random program you don`t absolutly need..

then..if it does`nt work..or if it`s just a little better, you could get really brave and try bumping up the priority on the things you are using..that`s a risky one though, and may cause a total freeze..or may work...LOL

Back