How's this for a system to run an older version of cubase?

twangbuck

Got a line on a used dell pc for a very good price already loaded with cubase 5 (full version) and various other recording software.
I'm going to use it to record probably 20 to 25 tracks of audio (some tracks only a few measures long). How do you think this will run?
Not sure on what interface I'll get yet. Any thoughts?

Dual core 2.66 x 2 Dell pc
80 gig hard drive (extra bays for additional hard drives)
1 gig ram (room to upgrade that to 2 gig)
DVD burner/cdrw
2nd Cd Burner for dual burning of audio cd's!
windows 7 ultimate
Cubase 5
Cubase halion one
Cockos Reaper
Native instuments guitar rig 5
refx nexus 2
refx vanguard
Fruityloops producer edition xxl

Should be good. What specific processor is it? Is it the e6750? If so, you should be good when you upgrade the RAM.

Though there is always a limit on how many plugs you can use. How many per track do you usually use? And what specific plugins?

Not sure on the processor though I can try to find out.
No idea what plugin's I'll use. In terms of effects, I'd probably just use the typical reverb/delay/compression/eq on most tracks, plus a virtual bass sound on the bass. Does that help?
It's important to note I do almost exclusively recording audio as opposed to midi usage or sampling/looping.
I'm a little concerned about only getting up to 2 MB of ram. Is that going to be a problem? Was that typical for that era of pc?

If it's an e6*** or e7*** core2duo, it's a decent enough chip, and if memory serves 4GB ddr2 would usually have been the max for the boards at the time.

I'm pretty sure I ran my e6600 with 4gb@667 or 800.

You'd need to google the mobo model number to confirm the max it'll take.
Some even have it written beside the slots, so take a look there.

If it's an Intel Pentium D 805, that's a different story. It's much less capable.

Back