how to write out notation when playing a guitar

Dan Mitchell

I need to be able to play a melody that I have written on my guitar and have a program like finale (or some other) to write down the notes that I play.
I have a pc with windows 7.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

One way that is a little pricey is using one of these Roland GR-20 Guitar Synthesizer :: Overview and record it as MIDI data.
To make that work you'll also need a midi interface like this M-AUDIO - MIDISPORT 1x1 - 1-In/1-Out USB Bus-Powered MIDI Interface
and some sort of MIDI sequencing program. I think most DAW's (recording software) have MIDI sequencers built in. Here's a cheap one (or free if you put up with nag screens) REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

There are lots of programs that will translate that MIDI data to sheet music. Some DAW's will do it, I know Cubase will do it but I think you need the full version, which is about $500.

Yep it's important to understand the difference between MIDI and audio. You can play notes in on a keyboard into Finale etc. because it's a MIDI keyboard - you press a key and it knows in computer language what note you are playing.
The same is not true of audio. Audio waveforms are very advanced and it can be difficult to translate them into MIDI. The Roland guitar synth posted above is a common one, but be aware that with any pitch-to-MIDI system it can be tricky to get perfect tracking. I'd look at plenty of reviews first, but it will probably do you fine for laying down a score :)
There are also guitar synthesizers going around at the moment - actual guitars with electronics built into the frets to pick up notes etc. I can't remember any model names.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you not know the notes? Do you want other musicians to be able to play the melody? There are tons of software out there that do this, Google it.

Back