How can I use a condenser microphone?

vanbinh

Hi
Can anyone tell me how can I use a condenser mic with my steinberg UR44.
I use my Rode NT1 with +48V on to record but I could not hear the sound.(It is brand new, I don't know if it is faulty?)
I is fine with dynamic mic (without +48V). Do I have to use a condenser mic with a mixer?
Thanks

Hi
Can anyone tell me how can I use a condenser mic with my steinberg UR44.
I use my Rode NT1 with +48V on to record but I could not hear the sound.(It is brand new, I don't know if it is faulty?)
I is fine with dynamic mic (without +48V). Do I have to use a condenser mic with a mixer?
Thanks

First thing. Check that you have 48 volts (+or-4V) at the mic end of the XLR cable. Don't have a testmeter? Go and buy one NOW! You will be condemned to ignorance forever without one.

If you do have 48V you probably have an operational/setup problem. It is very unlikely that the Rode mic is faulty.

I can think of other, more tricky scenarios but leave us K.I.S.Sir first!

Dave.

Dodgy cable seems likely, as said a simple test meter and a few continuity checks and then a voltage check will show any problems, or just use another cable

Yes Mark, I have used the Berry box and it is especially valuable for testing a lot of cables and exposing intermittencies but a voltage check at the end will tell you INSTANTLY that everything is working or not.
If no volts at the mic end check the AI XLR if it is there you have a cable fault, almost has to be an OC shield on pin 1.

A 1/2 decent $20 DMM can test cables and measure volts, AC and DC. A cable tester can only do the first.....Spend a bit more and you can read frequency and test capacitors.

Dave.

Well, call me old fashioned Mark but I happen to believe that all adults should be taught at least the rudiments of electrical theory.
30 years ago you HAD to know a bit of "engineering" to run a car unless you were very rich. In another decade there will be people wandering about starving because their sat nav does not work/been lost and they cannot read a map.

'S'like a bike, you'll never learn to ride one till you get one!

Grumpy old fart? Me? You bet!

Dave.

In another decade there will be people wandering about starving because their sat nav does not work/been lost and they cannot read a map.
Nah, they'll just do what people have done for the last century.
Ask directions.

There's always someone ! {I've found my way to Germany and Denmark and back without Satnav or maps....}
yippie.gif
yippie.gif
yippie.gif

If I'm lost out in the wilds of Scotland, I'll settle for directions from any toothless, bearded hag !

If your cable looks like this the mic will not work.... phantom power +48v will not get the the microphone

View attachment 90093
Your cable should look like this....

View attachment 90094

One other thought.... try different USB ports on your computer in case there is not sufficient power from the one you are presently plugged into.

Dave's suggestion for a meter is a good idea, however I'll suggest a cable tester which can do a few more tricks (such as test tone) and may be easier to use for someone not familiar with a meter. Handiest piece of gear I've bought and I do own several meters.
Behringer Cable Tester CT100 | Sweetwater.com

Thanks a lot. But my problem is my audio interface (witch have phantom power) have only 1/4 inch Unbalanced Male to XLR Female . What should I do? Do I need to buy a separate power phantom?
Thanks

Thanks a lot. But my problem is my audio interface (witch have phantom power) have only 1/4 inch Unbalanced Male to XLR Female . What should I do? Do I need to buy a separate power phantom?
Thanks

The Steinberg UR44 has combination jacks that will accept either XLR or 1/4" plugs:

61Fj0HEQl2L.jpg

Get an XLR-XLR cable and you should be fine.

Back