Hooking up Studio monitors directly to the output of a Soundcard

Bluebear,

So if I have a Delta DIO 2448, which has stereo analog outs (co-axial), I can hook up Event 20/20bas (active) to them with no problems? I believe that Event 20/20s have XLR inputs, right? So, I guess a cable with RCA/XLR ends would be the order of the day? Someone suggested to me that I might need a pre-amp to raise the signal level up before it reached the monitors. Why would I need that if they are amplified monitors?? Also, the "dynamic range" of the 2448 is unknown to me. The 2496, for example, has a dynamic range of 110 dB. Is this indicative of either the need (or no need) of a pre-amp before the monitors?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Yes... rca to XLR - a bit strange but perfectly fine. The speakers are probably expecting a +4 dbu signal, so you may need a line-level shifter to bring your -10 dbv signal up to where it's needed. Check your manual to see what signal is expected or acceptable.

Bruce

bluebear,

Thanks for the advice. Deal is, I have been holding off on buying the Dio 2448 before I can make sure the monitors will work with it, and vice versa, so I don't have either yet, so I have no manual to which I can refer.

Why do you say RCA/XLR is a bit strange? How do most people who do computer mixing/editing route their signal to their monitors?

I would ask about the Line Level shifter (the need for one, that is), but it is really contingent upon an answer as to how most people send their signal from their computer to their monitors.
Either there are soundcards that put out at +4dBu, or they are using something between the soundcard and the monitors, like a pre-amp or a line level shifter. It would seem that finding a soundcard that puts out at +4dBu would be simplest.

rca to xlr seems a bit strange 'cos rca is almost universally a -10 dbV line-level signal, and its connectors are considered to be consumer.

Cannon connectors (xlr) are a pro standard.

But there is nothing inherently wrong using rca to xlr connections, as long as the signal levels work for whatever you're connecting!

Bruce

So, for those using a computer to do editing and subsequent monitoring, what is the signal chain to the monitors? I don't know of any soundcards with XLR out, so they must be using some sort of optical out to "something" which has an XLR out to the monitors, eh? Just trying to get this straight in my mind.

Some would have 1/4" TS or TRS analog outs...

Optical outs would be digital only and not used in the monitoring chain (except with some of the new monitors with digital inputs).

Bruce

SecretOrchard,

You can download the M-Audio product manuals at: http://www.m-audio.com/m-audio/manuals.htm

The manual specific to the card you are considering is at: http://www.m-audio.com/manuals/pdf/DiO24.pdf

For the most part, I've found the M-audio manuals to be well written. They even contain "typical setup" scenarios to give you an idea of exactly what you can expect when setting up the card.

Since you haven't bought your card yet (and are looking at M-Audio gear), may I suggest you take a look at the Omni Studio? I know it's higher priced than the Dio 2448, but it will also has:

* 2 preamps
* 2 headphone outs
* 1/4" outs for your monitoring
* and more...

http://www.m-audio.com/m-audio/html/products/omnistud.htm

Just a thought :)

Lunatic,

Thanks for the links and suggestions. Yes, an Omni Studio would be nice, but I don't have that kind of money. Here's my setup:

Fostex FD-4 (digital 4-track)
SM58 for miking
500 MHz celeron, 128 MB RAM, 10 GB 7200 rpm WD HD
Cool Edit Pro for editing/mixing
SB Live! Value (this is why I need a Delta card w/ optical i/o)
1961 Danelectro U-2
Fender DG-20S acoustic
ibanez electric/acoustic mandolin
various keyboards

Anyway, I don't use MIDI (keyboards go into the FD-4 by TRS),
so I don't really need some of the higher end soundcards that
emphasize MIDI use. So, I just want something that I can send an optical signal to from my FD-4, which has XLR inputs for the mic, TRS inputs for the instruments, mixing for each input channel, etc. I don't know if it has a built-in pre-amp, though.

I read through the 2448 manual. The one question I want specific answers on, they gloss over. To wit, "The signal levels of these outputs (analog stereos) are compatible with most consumer gear." Ok, so does that mean I need a pre-amp or line level shifter to even use amplified monitors, like the Event 20/20bas?

thanks..

secretorchard

I completely understand about not having the money. Sometimes I get carried away... sorry :(

I took a glance at the link I sent you for the DiO 2448 and on page 2 it states that the outputs are "consumer level." This leads me to believe that they are the -10 that BlueBear referenced.

However, according to the Event 20/20 bas manual:

http://www.event1.com/manuals/20-20.pdf

they handle an unbalanced signal. Check out page 3(?) under the section titled "20/20 bas Biamplified System Connections and Operation." You'll just have to make sure you have the right cabling.

Thought I'd add a question to this thread...

I've got an Aardvark DirectPro 24/96, and 2 JBL LSR25Ps. Here's the output specs on the Aark:

Analog Outputs: Four 1/4" outputs +4 dBu balanced, 2 RCA outputs -10dbv unbalanced

And here's the input specs on the LSR25s:

Input Connectors: XLR Balanced (+4 dBu), RCA unbalanced (-10 dBV)

Currently I've got the LSR25s connected via RCA cable using the -10dBV ins/outs and my cable length is about 3' and 5' (the computer is almost directly underneath one of the monitors.) What, (if any) advantages would there be to using the +4 dBu balanced ins/outs over my current setup?

Queue

Given a choice of using a pro connection at a pro-level gain structure, I'd be inclined to use it - far less chance of noise, better s/n ratio due to the higher gain structure.... but if you're not having a problem now, then keep using it!

Bruce

Bruce,
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Things sound pretty good right now (to me). It may be more convenient to use the RCA outs because they are "patched" into the same circuit as the headphone outs. I say "patched" because this is done virtually, in the Aark software. I'll poke around in there and see if I can get it working the other way, but I'm guessing someone at my level would not be able to tell the difference.

I may not use the +4 ins on the JBLs until I redo my setup... (long way off, things are working, and I have no more $ to spend)

Queue

Lunatic,

You've been of great assistance. Thank you very much. It looks like I CAN get the 2448 and send the stereo analog outs to the Event 20/20 monitos, assuming I have the correct cabling for unbalanced signals. These on-line user manuals are pretty handy :-) Thanks again.

secretorchard

SecretOrchard,

Not a problem! I'm just glad I could finally give back to a forum that has done so much for me.

Enjoy!

-Lunatic

Back