HELP with direct pro 24/96

larrye

I bought the Ark 24\96 card 2 months ago. I did not use more than one input unill a few weeks ago when I recorded our quartet. I recorded three vocal parts plus a keyboard at once. Later I added my bass vocal. The problems seem to be about the same ones that Funky had (found the thread in a search).
1. I had a great deal of problem setting record and monitor levels when tracking!
2. When I started mixing I found that as I removed some on the low frequency to brighten up the mix there was a noise, like static in the tracks, even when the levels were no where near peaked. The tracks are not even near being clean.

setup was:
1. AT-813 condenser mics
2. N-track
3. all vocal tracks recorded direct into the Ark box using its phantom power. With various mic setings(line in and mic 1
4 For the keyboard I came out of the line out of the Keybd into the Ark #4. Line in wasn't hot enough so had to use mic 1 setting.

Did I make a $400 mistake when I bought the Ark 24\96?
Could any of you Ark owners help me?

Can you elaborate on the static or post a clip?

Are you able to produce a "clean" recording when just tracking one channel?

Queue

ps - If you post everything you can think of re your computer setup: OS, Aark driver version #, CPU speed, RAM, hard drive size and RPM, yadda yadda...

Queue,
Thanks for response.
1. I can't produce a clean sound on even one channnel
2. p-III 733MHz processor
3. Windows 98
4. ark driver v-5.14
5. Ram 160Mb
6. 4 gig UDMA HD at 5400 RPM
7. I don't know how to post clip - but the noise is a rattle like the midrange speaker cone is split (it's not)

Have you (or anyone else) had any problems with the Ark 24\96?

Any other soundcards in your PC?

Is DMA enabled on your HD? (Check in control panel)

You might want to contact Aardvark and have them swap out your cable. I'm vaguely remembering someone having a similar problem, but cannot remember for sure...

Queue

No there are not any other sound cards - YET. The noise is not real bad, I just am not sure how clean a sound I should get. I am trying to figure out how to test and/or compare. I think I will put my old montego II in along side it and see.

It should be _really_ clear. What about DMA? Is it checked? Do you have an alternate way to check the mic and cable? (Gotta rule them out, too).

Queue

check with aardvark, had same problem.....

I think you have something else, like an onboard soundcard that is not muted, I think any non muted inputs can cause a similiar problem. especially the system sound mixer aplet from windows.

This happened to me 6 or 8 months ago and I am blanking out on it now, sorry

try thomas adler at thomas@aardvark-pro.com he has been very responsive to me, by the way I have 3 24/96s and 1 lx6 and no I don't think you made a mistake at all. I rag on them about the wdm win2000 drivers but they are a pro company and don't put out crap. I think they will fix you right up.

l

Jon and Queue,

Thanks for helping out, I'm too new to figure out this stuff by myself.
1. Queue - DMA is Checked.
2. Jon - I will definately contact Aardvark.

I put a CD of music of the same style in my portable CD player, line out to ARK 1 and 2 inputs and recorded with n-track. The sound was excellent when I burned. I'm not sure I can tell the difference between the copy and original. Does this mean the card is ok? I guess the problem was in recording tech and room and mic's and etc. I did notice when working with one of the tracks the distintive pop of a bad mic cord! I only heard it once, but that might mean it had that mic messed up. Oh well, I will just keep tracking, mixing, and asking questions. Maybe I will learn.

i had that problem once and it turned out one of my xlr cables was causing a lot of static when the phantom power was turned on. even though it wasnt on the mic with the phantom power it's still applied to every input...so it actually recorded all the nasty static. i threw it out and bought a new one and the static was gone. my friend encountered the same problem. but if you're getting it on ALL the channels than it might not be the mic cables.

Bluelonestar,
Thanks for the input.
I have just about decided that my static might be just high freq. harshness from my microphone or maybe the mic pre of the ark 24/96. I am looking forward to another recording session where I will try to record better and try some other mics.
How do other ark users feel about the mic pre in the 24/96?

i think theyre great for the money. they sound nice and quiet to me...i've been able to get some nice fat sounding recordings-i've got no complaints. i liked the 24/96 so much i just placed an order for the q10...theres really no other product on the market quite like it. cant wait to get it!

Back