HelP !!!

lanac

There isnt a forum here for this ... so I figured I would come to this one ...

Randal and I bought a Sountech Quantum Mix ST1202 Mixing board ..

We have a SB live Xgamer Sound Card ..

Cool Edit 2000 and Cubase(ickk)

here is my problem ... lol

When I connect the mixer to the computer .. I plug it into the mic input ?? right ??

and I am trying to figure out how to record onti my Cool edit .. Having problems figuring out how to make this work .. Any help would be soooooo appreciated !! thanks Lana

.. I plug it into the mic input ?? right ??

WRONG!!!! stay far away from the mic input on most (if not all) soundcards (unless you want to use it as a "crappy mic pre" effect :D)

c7 said it correctly above "use line in". You will only be able to record 2 mono tracks at a time (or one stereo) this way, though.

Queue

ok .. I got it hooked into the digital input hole thing ..

now .. I think I am following you .. but just want to be sure ..

when Randal is recording ... we can hear his guitar coming out of the speakers at the same time ...

so I need to go and get more of those 1/4" to phono things to route my speakers to the headphones ? Right ???

.. another question now ... we want to record the vocal seperate from the guitar ... can we play the guitar track back into the headphones while recording the Vocals ???

thanks SOOOOO much guys .. you are the best !!!!

Lana

Here's where it gets (a little) tricky...

... we can hear his guitar coming out of the speakers at the same time ...

What are the speakers connected to?

And for your other questions, here's my idea of a basic setup (your optimum config may vary, I'm not familiar with the mixer):

Mics and soundcard outs connected to input channels on the mixer (some mixers have a special input just for things like CD's/Tapes/etc), but you can also use regular channels. Speakers and headphones connected to the Main out/monitor out on your mixer. (You may need to convert the signals from +4dBu to -10dBv or vice versa. Check your manuals for the signal levels on each sound source and what each input jack is expecting.) Oh yes, there may or may not be an amplifier between your mixer's outputs and the speakers and headphones...

It is best to try to monitor what you are recording at the mixer, and not through the computer. By the time your PC gets the signal, records it, and gets it back to your mixer, there is a delay. This is called "Latency" and you'll hear that term used and abused a lot in DAW circles.

Hope that helped.... , but you'll definitely be able to get everything working, might need some cables once we've worked out the best signal path.

Queue

Queue, YOU ARE THE BEST !!!!

I totally followed and found everything you are talking about ...

I am gunna have to make a trip to Radio shack to get some more adapter things though ..

but, from there I should be able to get this corrected !!!

I cannot thank you ENOUGH for your help !!!!!

I printed out your reply so I can make sure I get it right

I will let you know when I get back and get it set up if it all works !!

Thanks again !! Big Huge Hugz !!!

Lana :D :D :D :D

Lana,
I'm happy to help. Aren't you glad you didn't leave this BBS?

If you have more questions, post 'em. If they are beyond me, I'm sure somebody here can help you.

Queue

Sigh.. I just replied to this in the other copy of the same thread, thinking I was being helpful, only to find that you've already been capably assisted... another five minutes of my life gone :)

P.S. Whereabouts is Norman, OK? I have a colleague in Edmond, outside of Oklahoma City...

Hey C7, I gave you props in my first post... ;)

'Sides I'm guessing you'll get another chance to help.

Lana, don't take my above comment as a dig, it is just the way things are in DAWland. You get over a foothill and BAM there's a mountain in your way!!!!

Queue

-this is good, people lining up to help others

I am sorry c7

I didnt mean to slight your help at all !!!!!!

I dont know why it does that to me sometimes.. when I go to post .. I only hit the little button once .. lol

I think we got it all set up now .. lol

we played with it a little tonight ... and got it to record !! lol

so that is a plus !!

Lana

Thanks again GUYS !!

www.mp3.com/thecrowleys

Back