Have an older Mac

BlackThroat

I have a Mac SE/30 with the 48030 processor. It is dinosaur by technology terms but it seems to me that there might be old recording software/hardware for this thing. I know 10 years ago Macs dominated recorded media. Am I wasting my time?

I'm sorry, but I can't ever recall anyone, other than a Macoid, ever saying that Mac. has doninated anything. Still, if you are into paying higher prices for compairable performance to a PC then I guess my advice to go the IBM compatable route will fall on deaf ears. Don't get me wrong, the Mac., when configured properly, is an outstanding performer, but why pay so much more when the same performance is offered on a PC platform that has a much wider selection of software and plugins available? On the other hand, if you are operating on a shoestring then by all means see if you can find something that can get the old Mac. up and running, :) but if and when you decide to invest in a new box, I would suggest that you put your Mac. affection aside and do some real research into where you can get the most "Bang for the Buck" I think you'll decide to trade up.

As Ever:
T.C.A.

:) :)

Unfortunately, I'm afraid you'll find that it will cost you more in time, frustration, disappointment,and dollars to even attempt to do with a machine of that age,what machines today can do. The SE-30 was never intended to be upgraded to the performance level that todays incredibly powerful software requires.
However, I recall about 15 years ago, a musician friend of mine was raving about creating music on his SE-30. At the time I didn't know what he was talking about. So if you could find software for that machine, you could probably consider it an introduction to computerized music. Good luck!

Hey Blackthroat How's it goin'!If your not on a Real tight budget, MAC is definitly the direction you should go but you should probably atleast have a PowerMac.Sure you spend a little more, but consider the advanteges. Macs Are Much easier to use,There much more reliable, New software is coming out all the time, And If you Enjoy self Punishment you can even run windows on your Mac. I guess thats for when you just "Have" to play that game that is only Compatible with Windows. Windows Crashes alot
because it doesn't use ram properly.Unless you get windows 2000.Which probably won't run your Windows 95 & 98 stuff.Macs are also secure systems so your not vulnerable to Hackers like you are even with windows 2000.Also MACS are about twice as fast (if not more) as the Pentium Evil-Inside
Good luck My friend.

[This message has been edited by T.J.Hooker (edited 06-23-2000).]

Sorry, TJ, gotta kill some misconceptions:

* Windows can crash when programs use RAM incorrectly, i.e. they step "out of bounds". It can also crash if you have things set-up improperly. Windows itself does not "use RAM incorrectly" any more than MAC OS.

* MACs are not more secure from hackers... there aren't as many MAC virii written 'cause there aren't as many MACs out there. If MACs were #1, they'd be the #1 target of virus authors.

* MACs are not "about twice as fast (if not more)" as a Pentium.

It's fine to love your machine, but don't pass on myths as if they were facts.

Thanks for all the input. As it happens I have a Powermac and a 500mgz PC. I'm very happy with both, the PC is the only way on the internet though. I use both extensively for just about everything, especially business management. As I get back into recording, I see the best way as a dedicated machine-enter the SE30 in the corner that does nothing. Looks like I'll be getting a new PC. Thanks again.

pglewis: Your right I'm sorry there not about twice as fast.The new G4 500 mhz is about three times as fast as the fastest pentium III 600mhz.Less hurdles I guess. Sorry for the confusion.

Obviosly, T.J. has never had the opportunity of conducting a real world, "Side by side" comparison between his G4 and a PIII 600mhz of equal purchace price. There is no stronger advocate for the IBM compatable platform than a converted and recovering "Macoide" I have seen it so many times. Macoids treat their love for their brand of choice like a relegin untill they see the light and are saved!!

However, to those "Macoids" who choose to dwell endlesly in their dogma, all I can say is, "See ya' all later, Dudes!.......much later. I'm runnin' to fast to slow down and argue."

Well, now you can all see what I mean? When a "Macoid" runs out of argument, all He or She can do is resort to personal attacks. Too bad, really.

I don't think that "Mac." is all that bad, just the "Macoids", but if all you have for me is a critique on my spelling, Well, I guess I can rest my case, huh?!!

Blinding "Macoids" with my dust........See ya'!! Now, on to the next subject please.

As Ever:
End of string.

go atari.

competition=lower prices

lower price=good for camn

so battle on, friends...

xoxo

Why do these discussions always turn so childish. I hold nothing against a windows user, to each his own. But I am sorry to say to "tcap" your wrong about my opportunities. I know plenty of Mac users, and I know plenty Of windows users who constantly have the same problems I often encountered with my windows system. However These problems had nothing to do with the pentium. They all had to do with Windows. Pentiums are fine machines. Even though in my post I mentioned Evil-Inside (just a harmless joke). I think there fine processors as are AMD, I think Compaq makes a great machine. But as I could find endless software titles. I was constantly bombarded with problems from windows as it is not in control of the processor. It is controlled by DOS which has control of the processor. I now can say that with my new Mac I run much more efficiently without the hassle. Taking much less time to build my wave and perform other system bogging tasks. I hate arguing about this subject. You don't see Buick drivers throwing tomatoes at Mercurys ya know ? Well sometimes maybe. But this is my opinion I AM NOT LOOKING TO OFFEND. "tcap","pglewis" I wish you the best of luck as we all try to do what we love, and that is to record our music whether we use a 4-track cassette, PROTOOLS, or a boombox let's have fun and try to work together as much as our systems will allow us. Let's be openminded to one anothers problems.I believe that is the true purpose of this forum. Thanks.

That is all I want to say.Goodluck Guys ;)

[This message has been edited by T.J.Hooker (edited 06-28-2000).]

You Sir are right on the money. We should never get into that "my Dad can beat up your Dad" crap. Lets pool our resources and make records.

[This message has been edited by Track Rat (edited 06-28-2000).]

No offense taken, TJ, but I don't like misinformation being passed around.

* You've claimed that Windows uses RAM incorrectly. In what way?

* Win32 (Windows95 and up) does not run on top of a DOS shell. This is false information.

* You've claimed that a Motorola chip at 500MHz is about three times as fast as an Intel chip at 600MHz. What benchmarks did you perform to reach this bold conclusion?

I don't recall slamming Macs at any point in the discussion. I'm simply working overtime to debunk the myths you keep presenting. You can't make such claims and then just say "lets not fight" when I challenge the claims. I'm not fighting, I'm correcting.

Back