Hardrive Ide vs. Scsi?

gonzo7

Ive got a 13.5 gig hardrive in my comp. I am having a problem with the troughput, I think. My computer consist of a p3 450 384mb ram etc,etc. I currently have about 8.6g left on the hardrive. I scandisk and defragment the hardrive once a week. The hardrive is an IBM 13.5g 7200rpm udma or ultra ata 66(one or the other). It seems to have slown down since the beginning. It pops and glitches in cakewalk pro audio 9. I have 7-10 tracks per song and rarely use midi. Ive been trying to educate myself on buying a scsi2 level hardrive and controller card this is rated at 80 mb per second. Yet I still want to use the existing hard drive for the OS. The card I want to get is a Tekram dc390u2w and the hardrive I want is a Western Digital 18.2g 10k. If anybody can give me some tips please help.

Hey Eddie,
Tried the dma check off but it will not stay there after restart. Int 13 unit box will not uncheck. Any other ideas? Thanks!

well.. my other idea is that you got a bad drive, which is rare , especially from ibm..you should have no trouble with 8 to 10 tracks.. i used to get at least that on my 5400 rpm generic compaq drive with a cyrix processor.. have you ever tried another multitrack application to compare the amount of tracks? scsi2 is really unnecessary , but if you must choose a drive other than a western digital , they have been having problems with recalls lately..

the dma checkbox might be the problem.. im not the site hard drive guru , and im sure that someone more in the know (cough slackmaster cough) will see this thread and drop some serious educating.. :)

ps..dont get me wrong , i love overkill.. im the idiot that had dual 7200 rpm udma66 drives in raid0 config , as well as dual processors.. i would just hate to see you waste money if your not into overkill as much as i am..

- eddie -

Do you have a UDMA controller on the PC? The drive alone won't give you the throughput. If you have a PIII motherboard, though, probably you do. Is the drive set to MS-DOS compatibility mode? This would really slow things down. Check the drive in Control Panel/System/Device Manager.

-AlChuck

Back