Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Going crazy over latency

Big Thier is offline New Member
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbsy View Post
    In that case just try hitting the Mute button on the new track(s) you're recording while you record. Might work.
    Nope, still delayed. Fuck!

Bobbsy is offline Boring Old Git
    And the monitor button is pushed on the Edirol?

The thing is, as soon as you go into direct monitoring on the Editrol, it shouldn't just be low latency--it should be zero latency. My mention of muting the track you're recording was in case your DAW was feeding delayed sound back into the system.

Just to confirm, on your interface you should have the monitor button pushed and you should use the monitor level knob to mix between the present input to the system and what's coming off the computer. The "present input" (with the monitor button pushed is NOT running via the computer and latency should be zero--so somewhere you have a setting wrong.

Hmmm...we ARE talking about something live via a mic or something, not MIDI? MIDI is something different again....
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it as half full. The realist just drains the darn thing and gets a refill!

And the monitor button is pushed on the Edirol?

The thing is, as soon as you go into direct monitoring on the Editrol, it shouldn't just be low latency--it should be zero latency. My mention of muting the track you're recording was in case your DAW was feeding delayed sound back into the system.

Just to confirm, on your interface you should have the monitor button pushed and you should use the monitor level knob to mix between the present input to the system and what's coming off the computer. The "present input" (with the monitor button pushed is NOT running via the computer and latency should be zero--so somewhere you have a setting wrong.

Hmmm...we ARE talking about something live via a mic or something, not MIDI? MIDI is something different again....
    Thanks. Yeah, the button is pushed and the light is on. Muting didn't work. The monitor level knob is set in the middle. And yeah, condensor mic running through sound card linked to PC through USB. I tried earlier reducing the buffer sizes to the lowest amount possible, it looked onbeat (maybe a few ms delay) but then there was a fuck up in the sound and from there it was delayed again.

If the buffer size on the computer is affecting your latency then, for whatever reason, the Direct Monitoring on your interface isn't acting as your prime monitor source. In direct monitoring, what you hear in you headphones should be pulled off in the interface BEFORE it gets anywhere near the computer and its buffering.

Things to check:

Your headphones are plugged into the interface, not the computer, right?

You mentioned the knob on the monitoring was in the middle. Experiment with moving to either end entirely. You'll likely lose music playback from the computer but at one end or the other are you hearing your mic in real time without latency?

If you get it to work that way, then you have to find a way to stop your DAW feeding the recording signal back to the interface--this should be DAW 101 so I'll be surprised if it isn't there but, if it genuinely isn't then it might be time to upgrade to Reaper or something.
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it as half full. The realist just drains the darn thing and gets a refill!

P

I will try messing with the direct monitoring knob, alright.

Just wanted to add: I think the PC might be the problem, 'cause I recorded a song on my old Windows XP with the same gear/DAW and there was no latency.

Your headphones are plugged into the interface, not the computer, right?

Right .

Quote Originally Posted by Big Thier View Post
    I will try messing with the direct monitoring knob, alright.

Just wanted to add: I think the PC might be the problem, 'cause I recorded a song on my old Windows XP with the same gear/DAW and there was no latency.
    Interesting clue.

Highly unlikely it's the computer itself but it's certainly worth checking you have the right drivers for the operating system on the new computer installed. I'd do another trip the the web site for the interface maker.

Hmmm...thinking out loud, did you install any extra drivers on your old XP machine or just use the built in Windows (MME) drivers? If the latter, try changing to generic MME drivers on your new machine (if you DAW allows that). If nothing else, that could prove that it's a driver issue.

salfordranger is offline Newbie
    Hi, just thought i'd chip in. I recently bought an audio interface to use for recording. I started off using MME which gave me the problem you're having at the moment it seems. By the reducing the buffer size the playback became choppy and skipped. The rather than trying to reduce the lantency i used an lantency offset which if used correctly gets rid of the latency. I was using Sonar but it seems audacity has it in preferences (not sure about that other one you mentioned). The hard part is working out the correction value but you could just use trial and error. It solves the problem though.

The issue i'm having is i've started using ASIO driver which has a system which calculates the offset for latency with the interface but i'm getting choppy playback again. I can't increase the buffer size anymore (maxed out 10ms) so not sure what to do but try the offsets with MME because that works although difficult to get perfect.

Just to let y'all know the problem was Mixcraft. It's a piece of shit for recording. I'm now using Sonar.

ecc83 is offline 2.5K Gold Member
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Download this..
    Thesycon - USB, IEEE 1394, Software Development, Windows Device Drivers Development

The latency checker will tell you if you have a good enough basic system.

Basics: Have you turned off Windows noises, those irritating bleeps and swooops? Did you disable On Board Sound before you installed the Roland? You shouldn't have to these day but at straws we clutch! I suggest you uninstall the Roland, disable OBS, re boot, run Ccleaner and then re install the AI.

Dave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information