Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Going crazy over latency

Big Thier is offline New Member

Unhappy Going crazy over latency

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi, this is my first post. I'll try to make this short: I'm using an Audio Technica AT3035 condenser mic, which is hooked up with an XLR cable to my Roland Edirol UA-25EX soundcard, which is hooked up to the PC with a USB cable. My problem is: I'm dealing with occasional latency. To put it simply, the sound coming out the headphones is delayed of like 1/4 second, so whenever somebody records vocals, they're slightly offbeat. But sometimes, around 20% of the time, it will be right on beat. No latency. But then the next day, it's delayed again. I've pretty much tried everything to fix it, buffer sizes, enabling/disabling stuff (I'm a noob at this), I called all the music stores in my area, I even paid someone online to help me, but it never went away. I'm recording in Acoustica Mixcraft 2 (I know) but I have the same problem recording with Audacity. Also, I'm not even using VST's or any effects while recording, or running a lot of programs at the same time. I'm on Windows 7. In Mixcraft, I choose the Edirol soundcard as the recording IN, and for the playback OUT. I hope this makes sense. Looking forward to your suggestions.

mjbphotos is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Does your soundcard allow direct monitoring? That's what you need to use.

Thanks for your reply. The "direct monitor" light is on on my interface.

So???? Somebody please help me. NO ONE in real life has been able/willing to. Y'all are my last chance.

gecko zzed is offline audio illusion
    1 Check that there are no background applications that may interfere with your recording (e.g. wifi, virus checkers, screen savers). If it is happening intermittently, then maybe this might be the cause.

2 Use direct monitoring as mjb suggested. Plug monitors and headphones in to the Edirol and use that.
    http://homerecording.com/bbs/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=45599&dateline=1256715193
    I have a theory about that

Bobbsy is offline Boring Old Git
    With "Direct Monitoring" on there should be zero latency (you're routing your input signals direct to your headphones without going via the computer) so something is clearly going on here.

The first thing I'd do is go to the Roland site and download/install their latest drivers.

Beyond that, I notice from the manual that the Direct Monitor Volume knob is doing more than the name implies. It's actually controlling the balance between signals coming from the computer and the stuff on the the direct input. I don't know Acoustica at all, but could you have a button selected so the "new" material is being routed back to the Edirol interface. If so, the effect of the Direct Monitor Volume knob would be to mix between zero latency and latency. Your best bet would be to turn off the monitor playback of the new tracks in Acoustica...might be as basic as hitting Mute on the tracks you're recording...but I'd hit the manual to see if there's a better way.

FYI, with the Direct Monitoring, none of the buffer size stuff etc. should come into play. However, if you use any MIDI then it all comes into play since MIDI must go via the computer.

Hope some of this helps a bit.
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it as half full. The realist just drains the darn thing and gets a refill!

Mo Facta is offline Farts of Nature
    Are you using plugins? They can introduce latency depending.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    1 Check that there are no background applications that may interfere with your recording (e.g. wifi, virus checkers, screen savers). If it is happening intermittently, then maybe this might be the cause.

2 Use direct monitoring as mjb suggested. Plug monitors and headphones in to the Edirol and use that.
    Are you telling me I should turn off my antivirus while I'm recording? About the wifi, I don't know much about that but I do have a router hooked up with another computer so I don't know... And I already plug everything into the Edirol soundcard. Should I still turn the rest off in the computer's settings? I also tried that with no success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbsy View Post
    With "Direct Monitoring" on there should be zero latency (you're routing your input signals direct to your headphones without going via the computer) so something is clearly going on here.

The first thing I'd do is go to the Roland site and download/install their latest drivers.

Beyond that, I notice from the manual that the Direct Monitor Volume knob is doing more than the name implies. It's actually controlling the balance between signals coming from the computer and the stuff on the the direct input. I don't know Acoustica at all, but could you have a button selected so the "new" material is being routed back to the Edirol interface. If so, the effect of the Direct Monitor Volume knob would be to mix between zero latency and latency. Your best bet would be to turn off the monitor playback of the new tracks in Acoustica...might be as basic as hitting Mute on the tracks you're recording...but I'd hit the manual to see if there's a better way.

FYI, with the Direct Monitoring, none of the buffer size stuff etc. should come into play. However, if you use any MIDI then it all comes into play since MIDI must go via the computer.

Hope some of this helps a bit.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Acoustica Mixcraft is a really basic program (that's why I like it), but like I said I got the same problem with Audacity, so I wouldn't think Mixcraft is the problem. And nah, there's no "monitoring button" unfortunately. I'll go re-install the drivers but I'm pretty sure I've already done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Facta View Post
    Are you using plugins? They can introduce latency depending.

Cheers
    No, no plugins at all!

Bobbsy is offline Boring Old Git
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Thier View Post
    Thanks a lot for your reply. Acoustica Mixcraft is a really basic program (that's why I like it), but like I said I got the same problem with Audacity, so I wouldn't think Mixcraft is the problem. And nah, there's no "monitoring button" unfortunately. I'll go re-install the drivers but I'm pretty sure I've already done that.
    In that case just try hitting the Mute button on the new track(s) you're recording while you record. Might work.
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it as half full. The realist just drains the darn thing and gets a refill!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information