Getting Mic Preamp Plugged Into PC

jazzadellic

Ok I spent hours searching and reading reviews on mic preamps and thought I had come to find the one that best fit my needs and budget with the Behringer MIC2200. But then I realized whoops I have no way to plug it into my pc. Is there a easy economical way to get it plugged into my pc? I tried running it through my cakewalk ua-1g and I got this high pitched humming sound. I assumed it's because the ua-1g was not meant to have a preamp plugged into it as it is itself, I believe a type of preamp. Any suggestions as to what would get the job done without having to spend too much? I mean i'm not even slightly experienced in using preamps, as you can probably tell. I'm not sure if I need one of those usb mixer things or if there is a simple solution like a usb adapter?

Last edited:
Jeez you guys make your lives difficult.

You should put them both back into their boxes and take them back to the store and buy a decent 2 channel audio interface.

Is there some reason you can't run a cable from the "out" of the preamp to the "in" of the cakewalk interface? Not the guitar/mic "in", the ones on the other side. Yes, you'll need a specific cable because the sockets are different.

That should work. Better solution is to put them both back in their boxes and take them back to the store and buy a decent 2 channel audio interface. Without a tube... because it doesn't actually do anything much, you see.

Ding ding.....

A two channel USB audio interface is the all in one solution.
Something from presonus, tascam, NI, etc.

Saves a lot of headaches. :)

If you think you might expand in the near future, I'd suggest buying an 8 channel interface now, rather than having to upgrade right around the corner. Tascam us800/1800 is a winner.

You should put them both back into their boxes and take them back to the store and buy a decent 2 channel audio interface.

Is there some reason you can't run a cable from the "out" of the preamp to the "in" of the cakewalk interface? Not the guitar/mic "in", the ones on the other side. Yes, you'll need a specific cable because the sockets are different.

That should work. Better solution is to put them both back in their boxes and take them back to the store and buy a decent 2 channel audio interface. Without a tube... because it doesn't actually do anything much, you see.

What Armistice says.

M-Audio Used M-Audio MOBILE PRE Audio Interface | GuitarCenter

I used one of these for a few years. They sound great and don't cost a lot.

Just buy a USB interface that has a line in. I use a Lexicon U42S (the new version is the I-O | 42). It has line in / XLR combo jack. I plug my LA610 line out into the line in and it works fine. I use a preamp because it provides gain/eq/compressor features that a typical USB interface does not. The preamp is also tube driven and adds a lot to the mic going in. Keep your preamp and buy a compatible USB (self powered) interface.

Just buy a USB interface that has a line in. I use a Lexicon U42S (the new version is the I-O | 42). It has line in / XLR combo jack. I plug my LA610 line out into the line in and it works fine. I use a preamp because it provides gain/eq/compressor features that a typical USB interface does not. The preamp is also tube driven and adds a lot to the mic going in. Keep your preamp and buy a compatible USB (self powered) interface.

With GREATEST respect to an 8k contributor! There is a vast difference between a 70quid Behringer pre amp and the LA610!
That Lexicon is no slouch either!

I am with Armistice, cheap, DIRT cheap, valve gear is rubbish (I am not really a fan of valves in anything but guitar kit. They WILL fail) . Chop it all in and buy a Steinberg UR 22 or one of the bigger Focusrites.

Dave.

Yeah he can still get decent results with his Behringer preamp into a USB interface. All he needs is an interface. He doesn't need to get rid of something he researched and wants to use. It's like no one here has ever used a preamp with an interface which I'm sure is not true.

Back