Getting a Delta 1010 for FREE

Myriad_Rocker

I did a search on the Delta 1010 here and it seems to be a fairly popular sound card. Anything I should know about it before I install it? Will I still be able to listen to music on the computer while I'm just surfing the net? Or will I need another soundcard for that?

I'm getting it for free so I'm not complaining.

Myriad_Rocker said:
IWill I still be able to listen to music on the computer while I'm just surfing the net?

No problem, I do it all the time.

If you have any problems let us know. Plenty of people around here use 1010’s.

I've heard that these cards are old technology....will they give good pro quality results? I'm talking about a nice clear and clean professional quality track when recording vocals. I know I need a pre....so is it really dependent on what pre I have?

I just want to know if I should use this card or if I should go ahead and just get something else. I'm not against spending the money.

Go ahead and use it!

I'd rate it almost as clean as a GINA as far as the analog ins go, and capably handles digital inputs as well.

My one peeve is that they make Channel 1/2 the only one that can listen to the in the box mix.

Myriad_Rocker said:
I've heard that these cards are old technology....will they give good pro quality results?

OLd technology? Who told you that?

True, the 1010 only goes up to 96kHz but I've done A/B between and really could not tell the difference (but it has been awhile and my hearing has no doubt improved) so I record at 44.1kHz and the file sizes are much smaller.

We still are recording at 24bit and I don't see that really changing anytime soon. Not sure what the point would be going beyond 24bit when everything seems to be going MP3. I guess that is sort of a question....would there be any benefit recording 32 or 64bit to end up with MP3's?

Anyhow Pro quality results are going to require some pro quality gear and a lot of experience. The 1010 is perfect for home recorders.

Delta 1010s are great cards. I've never felt the need to go to anything different. Clean noiseless (to my ears) A/Ds, just an all around solid unit.
How are you getting one for free??

If you wanted something significantly better then you'd be spending a hell of a lot of money. And unless you have some experienced ears it's unlikely you'd notice that much of a difference (no offense).

The 1010 is a good interface for the money and I think it'll be several years before 'outdated' is a fair or accurate way to describe it. On reputation alone I don't think there's anything significantly better cards in the price range.

Back