Garble digital recording--possible to unscramble?

Hi folks.

A friend of mine passed away about a year ago, young kid, really sad. I found this audio recording I made in which he's talking for about 20 minutes straight (he liked to talk--most 17 year olds do!)

well about 10 minutes in the audi becomes really garbled, scrambled, I would call it. you can hear that it's a regular patter, because you can hear that much. I feel like there must be some way to run this through some fancy software and put it back together. It'd mean alot to me if anyone had any ideas.

here's a sample of the garbled audio. feel free to download and experiment.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5292212/garbled jonathan.wav

Thanks all!

Mark

What's the raw source? Is the attached wav something you've cut or bounced from a master wav?
If so, please upload the original raw WAV file and I'll take a look. :)

Last edited:
I would say no as well. It sounds like you are fast forwarding through a cd. That means that you are missing much of the information and there will be no way to bring it back.

I took a look at this. Turns out the original raw file was mp3 and I couldn't find any way to fix it.
I even got a quote from an online repair place but they said they could only 'recover' the first ten minutes, which are fine. :facepalm:

That's not to say it can't be done, but it's certainly beyond my ability.

hey all, thanks alot for replying. Steenamaroo has it right--recorded on a sony IC recorder directly to MP3. I am considering this a lost cause after all of your help, so I thank you that I can now just move past it. It's really sad, but you can't get blood from a stone, as they say.

what did the repair place want for "repairing" the undamaged audio, Steenamaroo? sheesh. the cheek!

Back