gamers 32 bit soundcard

hockey punk

What , if anything is to be gained from using a 32 bit gamers type sound card ? It was a gift and I am sure it is better than my generic SB type card . It is a Diamond Monster Sound MX300 , any feedback would be most appreciated .

Probably nothing other than the card might be quieter than a generic SB card, most of which are really noisy (the inputs and outputs I mean.) Does it have any type of digital input? That would be a plus as well if you have any gear with SPDIF outputs that you'd want to record with. Since it's not a card made for recording purposes, you probably won't get any other advantages recording wise. I could be totally forgetting something though.

Outside of recording, that's a cool gaming card, so unless you have something in mind you can trade it for, it's a good gift. If it doesn't have digital I/O, you might want to look at trading it for one of the SBLive soundcards with SPDIF I/O, they are sorta in the same price range. They are mainly good for gaming and such as well though, and not primarily designed for home recording.

Many gaming soundcards will have an environmental audio processor for 3D sound and such. Doesn't help much for recording music.

Slackmaster 2000

Hockey - I am somewhat familiar with those cards. I have a Monster MX200. The Monster cards are indeed good gaming cards, and they have 3D positional audio for games. It does not have digital in/out but has an analog line in. It will have cleaner recording quality than the old SoundBlaster 16 ISA cards but no better than the Sound Blaster Live PCI card (which actually has a pretty clean input). That card also has an OK MIDI wavetable on it, almost as good as the old Sound Canvas add-on cards. I don't know what level of quality you are shooting for, but you might try out using it drum tracks via MIDI.

Thanks for the info guys , I think I will install it since my present card is ISA and has pretty dorky drum sounds .Who knows maybe I'll get some game where the enemy sneaks up behind me and I can take full advantage of the 3D positional audio features.Of course then I would need 2 more speakers ,what a money pit this is turning out to be . Muchas Gracias

Back