Gadgetlans 824 VS> MOTU 2408 mkII

BLISS

Randy5235: I can only speak on the MOTU 2408 MK II, cause I have one. Yes you can
add two others two it and expand your system, I have no clue on gadget labs system.

sawwry

I'm looking both of they pieces over the gadgetlabs on one hand is cheaper,the motu has signal led's etc.I do want to be able to expand later to 96(motu pci card is capable,unsure of the gadgetlabs card)I gather that you can add three total outboard boxes to each card,if I am correct.Anyone used both of these or either and can contribute?

I've had my 8/24 for a few weeks now with very few complaints. However, it is limited to a max of 24-bit/48kHz (no 96). I just ran a very unscientific test with Cakewalk and Sound Forge. I recorded 2 tracks, one at a time, both roughly 30 seconds at 16-bit, 44.1kHz. The first track was with nothing plugged into the 8/24. The second was with the direct out of one of my Mackie 1604 VLZ channels patched to the 8/24 (I set the trim and fader to unity gain, EQ section flat, with nothing plugged into the test channel). In both cases, the noise floor hovered below -72dB. This is just my current setup, YMMV.

I plan to eventually move up to 96k, but not for a while. The "cost" of 96k vs. 48k is twice the overhead, which could translate to half the track count and WILL translate to twice the storage space. 24-bit adds 50% more overhead, but I believe the benefits are worth it. I would probably have to upgrade my whole system to get the performance I want at 24/96. I weighed a lot of factors over the past couple of months, and decided to hold off on a major PC upgrade for another year or two. By that time, there should be affordable processors and drives that can sustain more tracks at 24/96 than my current system can sustain at 16/44.1. The world of multi I/O cards will probably be very different then, too.

I looked at the MOTU gear and drooled heavily. I've heard good feedback from "the trenches" and I love modular designs. I came very close to getting one. The final decision to go with the Gadget was a compromise. I picked up some other useful gear with the cash I saved, while accepting the fact that I will proably outgrow the Gadget card. Until then, there are other purchases that are likely to improve my quality more than going 96k. Once the card becomes my bottleneck and I just can't live without something better, I'll replace it.

Did some more research on both cards,it seems that the 824 has a/d converters on the pci card while the motu does not(therefore indicating less noise in the case of the motu more than likely)also in order to add to the motu you just add a breakout box onto the existing pci card with the 824 you have to add another card as well that links to your first card eating up 2 slots and increasing the chance of irq conlicts,but again price is a factor so...Ill wait a little longer

Back