Future steps - Mixer ?!?!

CounterToAttack

..so i got a computer with blazing trails of fire along the casing and the name "Pure Overkill" stamped to its fascia. I got a Soundcard which will see me eating tinned spagetti on toast for months and so what do i do now...?!??!

This isnt reality yet but im just asking now as ive got a very dull week ahead.

MIXERS is the point here.. i heard a few points but im not clear to why i would need one ? what for ? how much ? etc etc..could someone explain the above. im getting a omni studio so ill have preamps. do i need it for balance / level of different instruments..?

STUQID RicHaRD

A mixer will let you blend audio signals into composite signals. EQ is an important feature on it.

The OmniStudio includes a mixer. Therefore, no need to get an outboard mixer unless you plan on recording many tracks at once.

i thought i would need a mixer to set the levels of the instruments so i didnt end up having a really loud guitar over a silent bass and whispery vocals.. This is what i thought as i didnt relly know what it does. ive looked at them and they have preamps so i guessed its more to do with getting vocals right rather than instrument volumes etc.

ill be recording things one at a time, so going on giaschel's advice i think ill ask for something else for christmas.. probably a multi effects pedal kinda thing, or maybe a bigger hard drive.. or maybe some go faster stripes

Richard

Do a search on the subject and you will find plenty of info.

At the most basic level, the best reason for having a mixer is if you were recording many sources at once. A classic example: You want to make a live recording of a rock band onto a stereo (2 channel) sound card. You might need up to a dozen mics to get everything. So a mixer with 12 inputs and 2 outputs would be required.

At the opposite end, if you are never going to record anything other than yourself playing one instrument at a time, skip the mixer and just buy a good preamp. Or if you only use keyboards you could probably skip the preamp too.

It's if you fall in the middle between those two cases that careful consideration is required.

Back