Focusrite 8i6 from Ebay with software broken or not?

JFoshee

As stated, I purchased a Focusrite 8i6 from Ebay in great visual condition and was sold to be in perfect working condition. It came with all the cables and unregistered software and was shipped in the origional box. I do not have a dedicated computer right now so I am using my laptop from work and I do not want to permeantly install any of the software by registering it with the codes yet, but I did install the software that came with the unit, Albeton live 8.0 lite, only it does not recgonize the interface. However I can open up Audicity and record fine. Did I buy a broken device? It would seam that if it was broken neither software would recgonize it. Right? Is Ableton not working because it is not registered? It gives me the option to authorize later, but says it will not let me save my work until I do. Which is fine, I just want to play with it for now.

Second question-- The 8i6 has two XLR inputs on the front and two 1/4" inputs on the back. How do I make it record 4 inputs at the same time? I can add additional tracks in Audacity, but have not figured out how to record multiple. (Would rather get Ableton working and learn on it)

Third question--Should I be able to come from one of the four 1/4" outputs on the interface and input into a channel on my powered PA head and get sound?I can only get playback or sound from the computer speaker jack after recording. Nothing comes from the headphone jack when plugged in with a guitar or mic. Should I not be able to hear myself in the headphones when plugged into the interface? Even if I am not recording.

If you haven't figured it out yet I am new at this. I apoligize in advance. I know these questions probably seam very basic, but I was always told if you don't know ....ask. So here I am. Thanks for your input.

However I can open up Audicity and record fine. Did I buy a broken device? It would seam that if it was broken neither software would recgonize it. Right? Is Ableton not working because it is not registered? It gives me the option to authorize later, but says it will not let me save my work until I do. Which is fine, I just want to play with it for now.

If you are able to record into Audacity through the interface, it means that it is working fine. If Ableton can't recognise it, that may have something to do with setting up Ableton.

Second question-- The 8i6 has two XLR inputs on the front and two 1/4" inputs on the back. How do I make it record 4 inputs at the same time? I can add additional tracks in Audacity, but have not figured out how to record multiple. (Would rather get Ableton working and learn on it)

You can't. My understanding of the Focusrite (and I'm prepared to be corrected) is that it gives you mike or instrument options on the front panel, or line inputs on the back. The interface will only send two audio channels via USB to the computer.

Third question--Should I be able to come from one of the four 1/4" outputs on the interface and input into a channel on my powered PA head and get sound?I can only get playback or sound from the computer speaker jack after recording. Nothing comes from the headphone jack when plugged in with a guitar or mic. Should I not be able to hear myself in the headphones when plugged into the interface? Even if I am not recording.

You should be able to get sound from the outputs. You would normally connect outputs 1 and 2 to either powered speakers or to an amplifier's line in. You should be able to hear something coming through if you turn the monitor knob up.

Common practice is to use the interface to replace the computer's soundcard, so monitoring and listening to playback is all done through the interface.

Hi JF,
I have an 8i6 and I too picked mine up second hand. I was even less lucky than you! Nothing BUT the interface, not even the 12V power supply. Fortunately I probably have more wall rats here than Radshak so I was only slightly incommoded!

Other than prove it works I have not had the time to investigate the unit. I have installed the MixControl software then went for a lie down in a darkened room!

Unless you have a deep desire to work the way Ableton does (I don't!) I would save that for a rainy. Download and get to grips with Reaper, vastly more people here to help you with that.

Re the "no save" function? A lot of demo software was like that a few years ago and it is a FUCKING STUPID! restriction to put on RECORDING software! Happily most DAW suppliers have seen the light. There IS a dodge however (two actually) Often, tho' you can't save you can often "Export".So, if you have produced a neat little ditty, just export it (as .wav) to the desktop.
We found something (forget what now) that would not even export so we hooked two PC s up via S/PDIF and cross copied in real time.

I am presently troubled, knackered and have a shithole of a house to clean for Christmas! But I shall get onto the 8i6 soon as I can...Promise!

Dave.

Thanks for the replies. I will investigate Reaper. VVery disappointing about the four inputs. I thought I could record four at the same time. I will try the outputs again. Maybe I didn't have it conected properly.

Thanks for the replies. I will investigate Reaper. VVery disappointing about the four inputs. I thought I could record four at the same time. I will try the outputs again. Maybe I didn't have it conected properly.

You didn't have it connected/setup properly. The 8i6 can DEFINITELY record 4 tracks at once and I am sure S/PDIF as well.

Audacity needs to be told. It sort of defaults to "stereo", two tracks.

Dave.

OK. Downloaded Reaper this evening. At first glance I like it much better. I went in to preferences to set up the 8i6 and at first it would not recgonize the interface. After messing with some stuff in the preferences tab I finally got it to record my guitar on one track and the vocals on another, however it was very distorted. Kind of like the gain was set to high. So I deleted it and wanted to start again. I changed the output device in preferences to headphones, because all I have now is crappy computer speakers, and when I tried to record again Reaper shows "Audio device closed" in the top right corner. At one point the signal meter would show an input signal on both channels, but now it shows nothing.
Also, at one point I could hear what went into the 8i6 through the speakers, even though it did have a lag, but now I can't even hear that.

Question on the 8i6---With mic/inst. plugged in should I be able to get an output signal from the interface from the headphones jack or the other outputs no matter if it is hooked up to the usb or not?

Morning JF!
I shall really try to get my 8i6 hooked up and grapple with MixControl, perhaps later today. In the meantime some ideas....

The distortion could be a very low buffer setting and the computer not up to the task? For normal use a buffer setting of 256 samples is usually fast enough and "safe".

Have you got the AI installed as an ASIO device? If not do so.

Have you downloaded the latest drivers from Focusrite?

Since you don't know the unit's "buggered about" history I would go to page 22 in the user guide and run "Reset to Factory Conditions" and "Clear all Settings".

IF the system offers to update firmware, do it. BUT! Make double- damn sure the power cannot be interrupted and if on a laptop have the PSU plugged in.

Last for now. I am pretty sure the AI can run certain functions "stand alone" but in common with almost all other AI with this facility (including FW devices) you need to set things up on a PC first.

And where is our Focusrite "man"? I do hope they are not going to be arsey to us chaps with "legacy" gear!

Dave.

OK. Downloaded Reaper this evening. At first glance I like it much better. I went in to preferences to set up the 8i6 and at first it would not recgonize the interface. After messing with some stuff in the preferences tab I finally got it to record my guitar on one track and the vocals on another, however it was very distorted. Kind of like the gain was set to high. So I deleted it and wanted to start again. I changed the output device in preferences to headphones, because all I have now is crappy computer speakers, and when I tried to record again Reaper shows "Audio device closed" in the top right corner. At one point the signal meter would show an input signal on both channels, but now it shows nothing.
Also, at one point I could hear what went into the 8i6 through the speakers, even though it did have a lag, but now I can't even hear that.

Question on the 8i6---With mic/inst. plugged in should I be able to get an output signal from the interface from the headphones jack or the other outputs no matter if it is hooked up to the usb or not?

Where are the headphones or computer speakers plugged in? Are they still connected to the computer. If so, go back to the preferences that gave you something (even though distorted). Connect speakers to the interface (if you can), or connect headphones to the interface. Try recording and playing back again using the interface. You may need to set the interface as the output device in Reaper.

Just realized that Focusrite are not in the Hardware/Software Mnfctrs section ....
BIG players, I wonder why not?

Dave.

I have the 8i6 and use Reaper. I didn't bother with a bundled DAW but did get the updated software to support the unit from their website.
You can record with the 2 XLRs and the line inputs at the back. I have, on a semi perm basis, two mics into the XLRs and a third, via a preamp, into a line in. NO problems. I just select the input for each track (Mic1, Mic2 & Line3) from Reaper. EASY as...record all three or four simultaneously - NO WORRIES.
Don't forget with the "mixer" software that supports the unit, to select zero latency routing when overdubbing.
That mixer software is REALLY annoying and I haven't spent any toime trying to get to now it beyond the essentials for record & playback I was used to with my old gear.
It's a pretty good unit though the 8 in 6 out is a furphy.
It's 2 mic/line in at front, 2 line, SPDF & optical IN at back & two lines + optical + SPDIF OUT all at the back PLUS the headphones on the front panel.

USB connected - should go to your DAW.
2 lines (L&R ) out should go to your monitor set up.
Headphones from the front panel.
Signal goes from unit to DAW & back to unit & on to monitors.
Zero latency setting selected everything goes straight to the headphones as it happens.
ASIO is essntial - & needs to be selected in Reaper as well.

"It's a pretty good unit though the 8 in 6 out is a furphy.
It's 2 mic/line in at front, 2 line, SPDF & optical IN at back & two lines + optical + SPDIF OUT all at the back PLUS the headphones on the front panel"

Yes Ray porkies! The best you could say is it is 6 in 6 out and that is counting digital!
BTW, no OPTICAL in on my unit nor in the manual, do you have a variant?

Ah! Forgot cans out but that is stretching credulity since they can only carry 1&2 or 3&4.

Dave.

Much thanks to all who have replied. My problems are likely a combination of several things. I will try setting the device to ASIO first. I'm pretty sure it was not. Also, my computer may not be up to the task. I am trying to fiind something in my price range now. Maybe I can have something permenant pretty soon.

Much thanks to all who have replied. My problems are likely a combination of several things. I will try setting the device to ASIO first. I'm pretty sure it was not. Also, my computer may not be up to the task. I am trying to fiind something in my price range now. Maybe I can have something permenant pretty soon.

Your computer is VERY unlikely to be unfit for duty. If it is running Win7 or later (Vista could be a problem but see later) and you have pretty smooth internet surfing I doubt it will be fazed by a 4 in 4 out AI. Ram might be an issue, less than 2G is marginal but we ran an "office" HP AMD 2X2.7G machine for years with just 2G ram and the only time it stuttered was when son was trying something clever with video! 4giggs and you are pretty fireproof.

Make sure you have Windows sounds killed and any wireless modems (disable in Device Manger). Put up Task Manager and click on Resource Monitor to see how hard things are working and what.
Plug the AI into a BACK panel USB port and give it a "pair" to itself.

Believe me, choosing a new interface is CHILD'S PLAY compared to buying a new computer!

Later! I had a Toshiba laptop running Vista Business, pretty slow but it would run my KA6 on 3G ram.

Dave.

ecc83,
That was off the top of my scone.
It's probably the phones out they'd counted - there's no stretch of credulity that marketters wion't even further elasctiize.
Porkies - and proper cold ones at that.
Pretty good unit once I worked my way beyond mixcontrol!

Back