Firepod owners discussion thread!

For you Firepod users - Just got an advertisement email from Presonus saying the multiple Firepods driver is available .................... but only for MacOS X ver. 10.4 Tiger. Also, SPDIF I/O is unavailable and you are limited to 48K sample rate. A Windows Beta driver is available for multiple units. Here's the link: http://www.presonus.com/firepodmultiunit.html

DD

Anyone know how/what the 8 line outs on the back of the unit could be used for? I can't seem to get any signal out of outs 3-8

DigitalDon said:
For you Firepod users - Just got an advertisement email from Presonus saying the multiple Firepods driver is available .................... but only for MacOS X ver. 10.4 Tiger. Also, SPDIF I/O is unavailable and you are limited to 48K sample rate. A Windows Beta driver is available for multiple units. Here's the link: http://www.presonus.com/firepodmultiunit.html

DD

Intresting. Really sucks about the sample rate cut, but good to see they have actually aknowlaged support for dual hookups.

Anyone use the Firebox?

i do..I love this thing. I only need 2 inputs, so for me, it is ideal. The Pres are far superior to the Mbox.

You just have to have a very good firewire interface (TI w/ no PCI bus cards except a low priority graphics card), or you will get clicks and pops. On my gigabyte motherboard, the firewire is built in, so I am set.

I am very happy with the firebox, I just play, no worries about technical shit.

Yeah, I'd recommend a Keyspan Firewire card (if you need to install a card). Uses a Texas Instruments chip - which is more widely compatible with more Firewire devices. Mine is rock solid with my Firepod.

I have an issue with the firewire pci card in my desktop. It has the TI chipset, but for some reason I'm unable to load the firepod drivers.
The card itself seems OK, shows up in device manager as working, although I have no other f/w devices to test it with. The firepod itself works fine with my laptop.

Any ideas here? I dl'd the latest drivers. During the install, I plug the unit in and windows detects a couple of devices, goes to load the drivers then craps out with 'unable to find file'.

The support guy initially thought it might be the unit itself until I told him it works fine on the laptop. His final suggestion was a reinstall of XP, which I'm reluctant to do

Bulls Hit said:
I have an issue with the firewire pci card in my desktop. It has the TI chipset, but for some reason I'm unable to load the firepod drivers.
The card itself seems OK, shows up in device manager as working, although I have no other f/w devices to test it with. The firepod itself works fine with my laptop.

Any ideas here? I dl'd the latest drivers. During the install, I plug the unit in and windows detects a couple of devices, goes to load the drivers then craps out with 'unable to find file'.

The support guy initially thought it might be the unit itself until I told him it works fine on the laptop. His final suggestion was a reinstall of XP, which I'm reluctant to do

A couple of questions (you may have covered this stuff in another thead, if so, sorry):

Are you using SP2 in WinXP? If so, have you installed the firewire hotfix?
Have you tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of the Firepod drivers? (I'm guessing you have)
Have you tried a different PCI slot for the firewire card?

As far as the "unable to find file" error - it seems to me that something isn't completely installing correctly with the Firepod drivers. What else did tech support tell you before the final "reinstall Windows XP" part? Sometimes starting fresh isn't a bad idea, but it shouldn't be a requirement - that's for sure.

Thanks for the reply Warble. I remember when I first got my delta 44, the only way I could get it to go properly was an XP reinstall.

To answer your quwations, yes I've tried a complete reinstall, and yes I've tried all available pci slots. I tried it without the delta card as well, to no avail.

The tech support guy was quite good. He pointed me to a nice registry checker/editor, so I could clean the thing out before reinstalling.

But what is this firewire hotfix you speak of? Sounds potentially promising. I am running SP2.

stash98 said:
i do..I love this thing. I only need 2 inputs, so for me, it is ideal. The Pres are far superior to the Mbox.

You just have to have a very good firewire interface (TI w/ no PCI bus cards except a low priority graphics card), or you will get clicks and pops. On my gigabyte motherboard, the firewire is built in, so I am set.

I am very happy with the firebox, I just play, no worries about technical shit.

Good to hear. I have an AV8 Deluxe mobo with a built in firewire port. I run the Firebox at a latency of 6 or 7...no dramas with pops. What is the go with the "TI" thing you mention?

You know, the one thing that I think is a design oversight is the actual connection for the firewire cable on the back of the Firebox itself...you know how it is just out there, so to speak? It needed to be inset into the frame more.

Anyway, let me know about the TI. I'm getting a set of M-Audio BX5's tomorrow, can't wait to hear them through the Firebox. It's a great little card.

Bulls Hit said:
Thanks for the reply Warble. I remember when I first got my delta 44, the only way I could get it to go properly was an XP reinstall.

To answer your quwations, yes I've tried a complete reinstall, and yes I've tried all available pci slots. I tried it without the delta card as well, to no avail.

The tech support guy was quite good. He pointed me to a nice registry checker/editor, so I could clean the thing out before reinstalling.

But what is this firewire hotfix you speak of? Sounds potentially promising. I am running SP2.

Can you give a link to the registry checker/editor? I'd like to find an easier way to clean trash out of the registry than using find or search.

DD

Monkey Allen said:
...What is the go with the "TI" thing you mention?

Not Stash, but we're talking about a Texas Instruments chip. The firewire cards with these chips seem to be more compatible with a larger variety of firewire devices (by what I've read on the net).

Bulls Hit said:

No prob. Wish I could offer more assistance, but it sounds like you have something goofy going on with your system. That would be a bear having to reinstall Windows before installing the new sound hardware. I would look into that software to check your registry out - just make sure to always create a restore point before doing anything like this. Usually, good software will let you do this in case a potential issue arises.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure the hotfix will be of much help for your situtation, but it's a firewire performance hotfix. Some people have has the issue, others have not. Here's the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

Hope you can get this figured out - looks like you may have had it working at one point (looking back at earlier posts in this thread).

also, I run the firebox through Bx5s too..that's my setup. It is very nice, but the Bx5s will fool you a bit. They make the vocal always sound a bit louder then it is. Basicly all the highs, so adjust by a db or 2 in the mix and you will be fine. I still like the Bx5s just fine now that I have them figured out.

Hey, what a coincidence! Yeah, and I have heard that the BX5's are not the fullest sounding in terms of bass too. I get them in a few hours and I'm sure they will blow me away. I've never had proper speakers before.

Firepod owner needing help

I have had my firepod for about 2 months and like it very much. I have no trouble recording my electric. I run it through a GNX4 for effects and it sounds great.

My problem is recording vocals and acoustic guitar. I have a pretty good condensor mic but would like to have a rack mount processor under the firepod for reverb, delay, etc. Is this possible and if so how do I hook this up? Stupid question but would the effects from the vocal processor mix into the gutitar tracks?

Second, I have been trying to plug my acoustic into a zoom acoustic effects pedal and then into the firepod. Should I plug this into the front in a pre or in the back (if so where).

Sorry to sound stupid but I am new to this process and having a hard time understanding the functionality.

Great investment though!

Back