Favorite DX plug in

mastahnke

Linux Man...
I was wondering what everyone's favortie Direct X pluggin is. I have used a whole lot of them and different guys swear by different ones. I really like the reverb from the TC Native pack, and of course Antares Autotune.
Just wanted to hear about what else is out there.

MIKE

I haven't found autotune that hard. Perhaps you should read the little manual or practice with the tutorials. I always use the graphic mode, where you can correct it by hand.

--MIKE

QMetric, Free Filter, Loudness Maximizer...my three mastering tools...The Steinberg Mastering Edition stuff is very cool (and somewhat CPU intensive..look out if you use it).

QMetric uses double sampling as is as transparent of an EQ as I have ever heard. Very nice for mastering mixes.

Loudness Maximizer is some of the most transparent compression/limiting I have heard in digital (although, I have never used the outboard Weiss stuff that process in excess of 60 bits, so it probably does a much better job). But LM is easy to overdo, and should be approached with extreme caution. I played around with increasing mixes by up to 10db with it and while it worked well (meaning the final outcome was free of distorion and never digitally clipped) the mix sounded very squashed and lifeless and muddy. Anyway, a very useable tool for increasing the average volume of a mix.

Free Filter is simply stunning!!! A must for intricate EQ'ing.

The other plug's included in Mastering Edition are very nice too. I just haven't really needed them, but for what they do, they seem to do it well.

Ed

I always use Waves' RCL, Steinberg's Freefilter, and Sonic Foundry's Acoustic Mirror - So I guess they're my faves, although I also dig Cakewalk's FX3 Sound Stage. (I like playing around with the 3D room.)

Back