EZDrummer

Armin.M

I use EZDrummer as a VST in Sonar production,
everything is ok but i wanna ask something,
althought it is more better than the other VSTs (for drum) how do we can make that sounds more realistic ?

thankyou.

Using the 'Humanize' function helps a little. Randomizing velocities in drum editor of your DAW takes time but gives good results, especially with HH stuff. A constantly consistent drum hit is mostly what makes it sound unnatural.

I think it would depend on the song. I have only done it on a couple of tunes so I think someone else can give you a better answer. For me, if I remember correctly, I was varying around 10%.

Nice answer ,but my humanize fuction is already on,
but i dont understand the second pat,i mean i should i change only the velocity of drum VST ?and what you mean by HH stuff ?
can you explain a little,thank you.

HH = hi hat.... nothing worse than a metronomic hi hat.

I'm no expert, but I place each and every hit in every track, make sure it has as different volume from its fellow hits, move some of them around one or two notches either forwards or backwards, randomly, and also randomly introduce another complementary sound to layer on top (ie. if it's a closed hat, put a touch of an open hat on it - just a touch) to change the sound a little.

Sounds quite "realistic" to me... not hard, just detailed and requiring patience...

I use Addicitive Drums and Reaper and it has a Humanise function too I believe, but so far I've not used it..

+1^. With acoustoic kick and snare recordings, we try to get them as 'perfect' as possible (timing and attack). Programmed drums are 'too perfect',
so the ideal would be somewhere in between. Making EZD sound 'real' involves making it not so perfect.

I do not know your DAW, but I'm assuming you have some type of midi/drum editor, where you will be able to modify the timing, velocity, and notes of drum sequences you have created with EZD.

+1^. With acoustoic kick and snare recordings, we try to get them as 'perfect' as possible (timing and attack). Programmed drums are 'too perfect',
so the ideal would be somewhere in between. Making EZD sound 'real' involves making it not so perfect.

I do not know your DAW, but I'm assuming you have some type of midi/drum editor, where you will be able to modify the timing, velocity, and notes of drum sequences you have created with EZD.

yerah i use guitar Pro and i send them to my chanel in sonar.,what you mean bu DAW ?

DAW=Digital Audio Workstation. Sonar is your DAW

oh ok sorry ! so i think there is no straight way the make that sound more real,
do you think it can be if we use some reverb and compressor ?if not which effect you think can be helpful ?

For me, parallel compression works really well on EZD. Basically you send the drums to a group. From the group you set up an FX send to a compressor (heavy squishing) and add that with the 'clean' buss. Search it and you will find more detail. I don't have any experience with Sonar, so I can't really help there. Be careful with reverb as it will make your drums sound far away. Also, getting your EZD to send individual drums to separate channels will allow you more control. Once again, no idea how to do that with your setup.

Happy searching! :)

when you say more realistic, do you mean the sound of the drum samples, or the the actual 'playing' style?

If it's playing style, velocity is where it's at. there's no amount of compression or reverb that's gona make it sound like a natural physical performance.
Hope that's useful.

when you say more realistic, do you mean the sound of the drum samples, or the the actual 'playing' style?

If it's playing style, velocity is where it's at. there's no amount of compression or reverb that's gona make it sound like a natural physical performance.
Hope that's useful.

i understand ,but when i arrange my music in guitar pro then i import it to sonar in MIDI channel an the only thing remains is equalizing it,
then why should i change the velocity ? i think it is not usefull in this situation,because if i change the velocity then the speed of whole song changes...you know what i mean...

Naw, velocity changes would be made via the midi editor. Velocity is the 'power/volume' so to speak of the midi note (drum hit). A constant level sounds inherently unnatural.

i think there's been a misunderstanding..

you want more realistic sounding drums..

my question is, do you want the actual snare and kick and hi hat to sound more like a REAL snare kick and hi hat,
OR
do you want the arrangement of notes .ie the 'performance' to sound more like a real person played it. (by that i mean NOT mechanical)

If it's the latter,,i've suggested altering note velocities which will not affect the speed of your session.
The velocity is how hard you hit the drum.
When you click in a midi note without actually playing a key, there's probably a preset velocity (say 100?)
If you program a whole beat by clicking in notes, every single hit is as hard as the one before it and the one after it; This is not natural.

Altering velocity would mean that some hits are softer than others, the way a real drummer would play it.

Hope that helps.

i think there's been a misunderstanding..

you want more realistic sounding drums..

my question is, do you want the actual snare and kick and hi hat to sound more like a REAL snare kick and hi hat,
OR
do you want the arrangement of notes .ie the 'performance' to sound more like a real person played it. (by that i mean NOT mechanical)

If it's the latter,,i've suggested altering note velocities which will not affect the speed of your session.
The velocity is how hard you hit the drum.
When you click in a midi note without actually playing a key, there's probably a preset velocity (say 100?)
If you program a whole beat by clicking in notes, every single hit is as hard as the one before it and the one after it; This is not natural.

Altering velocity would mean that some hits are softer than others, the way a real drummer would play it.

Hope that helps.

i mean the first part,i need actual snare,kick,HH,.. to sound more real.that's my problem

You could get more expansion packs for EZD that will give you a greater selection of samples. Depends on what style of music you are using it for. I actually use Steven Slate drums now cuz they sound better to me. Mo money tho.

You could get more expansion packs for EZD that will give you a greater selection of samples. Depends on what style of music you are using it for. I actually use Steven Slate drums now cuz they sound better to me. Mo money tho.

Sorted :)

also worth looking at addictive drums. I'd highly recommend it for realistic kits and patterns.
try youtube or something to get previews??

My suggestion would be to get Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer's "bigger brother". EZ Drummer's sounds are preprocessed to make them quickly fit into a mix whereas Superior Drummer gives you raw samples and the ability to process/control the sounds more. It sounds like you are looking for greater flexibility to treat the samples and Superior Drummer will give that to you.

Addictive Drums is also good alternative. Look for demos on youtube for both to hear if they suit you.

Back