Explanation of AD/DA converters

SpeedKing9

I'm still new to this world, so I would appreciate someone explaining something to me. Complete hypothetical situation, for all intents and purposes, does an Apogee Rosetta 200 have the same functionality as say a PCI audio interface card, such as a Lynx 2, Gina, M-Audio Delta, etc.......

In other words, could I use an Apogee Rosetta 200 AS the audio interface card, or does an audio interface card have more functionality than just a stand alone AD/DA converter?

The PCI cards you mention have conversion, but they also interface with the computer. The apogee is just a converter. You would need a digital interface card to hook it to the computer.
For example, if the output of the apogee is spdif, you would need a spdif PCI card in order to hook it to the computer.

I think apogee released there firewire cards. If not its on they way. When that comes out it'll be the same as all those PCI cards.

It still won't quite be the same unless it also offers some sort of control panel which would allow you to change buffers, reload drivers etc.... The X series Apogee stuff starts at around $3000 US if I remember right, and the Apogee X series firewire card costs an additional $500 ish.

Back