Electronic Kit

bfmv2k5

Hi, new here. I've been playing drums for a while but never recorded. I was semi-forced to get rid of my real kit and go electronic.

I now own an Alesis DM10 Studio Kit.

So far I like it, but I'd like to dabble in recording now. For an electronic kit, how would I go about this? I know that I can do midi, etc. but I'm not sure where to start.

As an idea, this is just for fun recording. It does not have to be studio level, high end. I just want to dabble and try it myself.

I have a brand new Alesis DM10, and an Asus g750 laptop to work with. What else do I need?

(I've been reading about MIDI etc, so I have started to research the topic but now I want to ask questions. If you need to know anything else, please feel free to ask so I can help guide this in the right direction :o)

Your kit needs to be connected to your computer with MIDI-cables (probably one for IN and another one for OUT). The MIDI information from your kit reaches the computer through an audio interface, so you're going to need that as well. The information goes into a recording program (DAW) and in that you'll probably want a plugin such as Addictive Drums so the MIDI information "knows" what sounds it will trigger. You can usually plug your headphones into the audio interface.

What has been said, you can purchase a VSTi in your DAW and just use the pads to trigger the MIDI notes (hits) and use the VSTi (Superior Drums, Addictive Drums, what you like the best) or, if you like the sounds from your module, you can record the MIDI into your DAW, edit any issues, send that back to your module, then record the analog back through the interface.

For a DAW, many people use Reaper, it is inexpensive, fully capable, but is somewhat difficult to learn. It records both analog and MIDI. There are other DAWs that are a bit easier, but generally do the same. Most DAWs do both MIDI and analog, some better than others. You can search around on the board to see what others like, most have demo versions for yu to check out.

Interface, most use a two-four channel interface (if you are a solo recorder, two is enough, but four gives a few more options), Focusrite, Presonus, M-Audio, Zoom are the most common lower end interfaces (between $100-200 is the range). Looks like your unit connect MIDI through USB, so the older MIDI connection might not be an issue, but I suggest to make sure your interface has it, just makes life easier in case you want to expand. I would also make sure that the unit has phantom power, and XLR/1/4" inputs. This is also another important feature for future use. Most of the manufactures listed have preamps, so a mixer board is not required.

Next you will want to start looking for monitors, then sound treatments, etc. But this will come later. Just start with the basics as listed above. Another couple of hundred bucks will get you moving in the right direction.

I hope this helps get you started and welcome to the addictive world of recording. May your wallet be deep and your list of things to buy long.

I hope this helps get you started and welcome to the addictive world of recording. May your wallet be deep and your list of things to buy long.

Haha, the wallet is simple. The lady is problem. Thank you guys very much for your replies. I appreciate any and all input so far.

How does ToonTrackz work exactly? I get the main program for 150, and the rest of the track packs are seperate like add-ons to the main one? Or do the ones for 80 work the same as the 150 one?

Right now, I'm interested in either... from a quick google glance and forum look overs... A. Audacity (free) B. Reaper because of the low price/non professional use, C. ToonTrackz (and some add ons), or D. One of the bigger name programs like Cakewalk/Sony Acid/FL Stuido Producer.

Are there any of these that would work well/come more highly recommended then one another around here?

Edit: As well I see you suggest an interface with either 2/4 connections. How does that work exactly, if say, like my kit, has 10 items? (1 snare, 1 kick, 4 toms, 1, hi hat, 1 ride, 2 crash. Would I not need an independent connection for each?

If you are going to go full out recording, get a DAW and use the drum program as a plug in. DAW I wouldn't say as each has its own pros and cons. You can always download Reaper or the others and give them a spin. Big learning curve, but you will get there. Reaper has a fully functional DAW for demo and after the 30 days trail. You just have to live with a nag screen when you are opening it up, wait 15-30 secs and it goes away. As with no lock outs or removed functions. The others have demos as well, but reduced functionality afterwards.

I wuold get some demo versions, give everything spin. Test out Toontraks (maybe start with Easy drummer and then upgrade when they provide an offer). I bought Easy drummer for $50 on sale, then they offered an upgrade to SD for $50. So, $100 bucks. Each nodel just gives you more kits and improved sound control. SD almost gives you too much control.

To your last question, no, this all maps through MIDI and I bet there is a mapping file for your kits, so everything goes where it needs to. If not, SD, maybe toontracks as a learn function. Select learn, hit a pad and that is where it will send the "note" information. They map notes that maps to a sound (C1, kick drum, B1 snare, these are just for example).

Hope this helps a little.

You might be getting confused - there's a lot ot learn about homerecording AND MIDI at the same time.

Toontracks (no 'Z') is the manufacturer of EZ Drummer and Superiour Drummer - two virtual instrument drum programs (VSTi's). They contain sampled drum sounds EZD is the simple version, SD is the more complex (and more adjustable) version. The basic programs contains a few drum kits and the ability to either create MIDI drum tracks by drag-and-drop method from existing (provided) drum patterns or to create your own either by MIDI 'drawing' or by inputting from a MIDI device like your Alesis drums - this is done IN your DAW, not the EZD or SD program itself
Reaper (my recommendation) and the other DAWs you reference are recording programs.

DM60, your help has been wonderful and I appreciate it very much. The midi/mapping information is extremely helpful.

If I may pick your brain again, say I were to get Reaper. Would I be able to use Easy Drummer tracks/expansions in reaper?

And, lastly, what interface do you suggest? Right now, I'm looking at this one... A PreSonus USB (item number 104841978 on Guitar Center because I can't post a link yet), 2x2 interface.
So I think I have it figured out so far... To semi-copy your sig there - Reaper, win 8.1, that presonus, and I don't think I need an audio card just yet? Or would you suggest one out right?

You might be getting confused - there's a lot ot learn about homerecording AND MIDI at the same time.

Toontracks (no 'Z') is the manufacturer of EZ Drummer and Superiour Drummer - two virtual instrument drum programs (VSTi's). They contain sampled drum sounds EZD is the simple version, SD is the more complex (and more adjustable) version. The basic programs contains a few drum kits and the ability to either create MIDI drum tracks by drag-and-drop method from existing (provided) drum patterns or to create your own either by MIDI 'drawing' or by inputting from a MIDI device like your Alesis drums - this is done IN your DAW, not the EZD or SD program itself
Reaper (my recommendation) and the other DAWs you reference are recording programs.

So then in order... Interface/drums plugged in. Record midi pattern with Reaper. Take midi pattern from Reaper to Toontracks and use sampled sounds to make the mix I want. Thank you for further clarification by the way!

DM60, your help has been wonderful and I appreciate it very much. The midi/mapping information is extremely helpful.

If I may pick your brain again, say I were to get Reaper. Would I be able to use Easy Drummer tracks/expansions in reaper?

And, lastly, what interface do you suggest? Right now, I'm looking at this one... A PreSonus USB (item number 104841978 on Guitar Center because I can't post a link yet), 2x2 interface.
So I think I have it figured out so far... To semi-copy your sig there - Reaper, win 8.1, that presonus, and I don't think I need an audio card just yet? Or would you suggest one out right?

Presonus will be your Audio Card, input and output. I apologize, I get way to ahead of myself (thanks MJB). Your MIDI drums through the Presonus (if this is what you choose) or if your Drums use USB, then connect using the USB. Get's rather complex at this point. For now, you can just run your drum sound module to the Interface, and record analog. Start there and it will be simpler. I wouldn't get toontracks just yet since you have a sound module with your drums.

Let's say take this an an example, Reaper, USB Audiobox and drum kit. Drum sound module outs (analog) to inputs to USB Audio Box, bring up a track in Reaper with stereo, hit record and play your drum kit. Get that far and we can move on to other things.

I hope I am not confusing, if so, hopefully MJB comes back and cleans it up. ;)

Alright. I can appreciate starting simple since I have to start somewhere. :listeningmusic:

Thank you for being patient with me this far!

Back