Dual Screens for Reaper or otehr DAW.

rayc

retroreprobate
Hello Folks,
I was given a spare monitor a couple of weeks ago.
When I finally cleaned it up & looked at it I found it has AVG & DZI connectors.
It's ALMOST the same size as my current screen & adjsutments to height etc make them seem visually compatible.
I check my video card & it had both connectors as well.
I bought a DZI cable & managed to set up dual monitors in XP on Friday evening.
I did have to raise the screens somewhat so that my audio monitors didn't block the screen - had to pull those fellows a little closer to the front as well & re-adjust the sweet spot angles etc.
When I pulled up Reaper I dragged it across the 2nd monitor so I have, in most instances, all of the tracks in the mixer section visible, (Since moving from 4 track cassette I've luxuriated in excess).
Things seem to be fine, I've moved only non essential icons to the 2nd screen so that if something goes wrong I'll still have the shortcuts etc that I deem essential.
Does anyone have any suggestions, tips or warnings regarding dual monitors - particularly in Reaper?

Ray, I have a 28 inch and a 24 inch. The 28 inch has sufficient resolution (especially vertically) for me to get all my main Reaper session in it with as usually as many tracks as I need, without scrolling, although not always.

I use the 24 inch for the AI driver program Total Mix, and I put various sub-Reaper windows (FX adds and the VST control panels etc.) over there too.. or occasionally a MIDI window I've undocked from Reaper main.

It's mildly annoying that the 24 inch can't do the same resolution as the 28 inch, but that's very much a first world problem. Enjoy the screen real estate, I reckon... no particular tips.:)

I've had dual 19" monitors on my DAW using Reaper for 4 years. It's great having all that space.

I now use a external mixer controller so I don't need to have the mixer page open on a screen and have even more screen space.

Enjoy the new setup :thumbs up:

Dual monitors make things so much easier to work. Three is a luxury!

I have found that having two monitors of different sizes can be quite annoying. I eventually bought two new monitors of the same size and resolution so when the project window is dragged across, they line up. Then the third is much bigger and higher resolution (placed above the other two), but for me with Cubase, I can place the mixer there full screen so it does not matter that it is not the same size or res.

It is so nice to have the real estate to open effects without intruding on view of mixer or project window. I would be so annoyed changing windows on a single monitor. I would likely quit recording if a single monitor was my only option...

Enjoy the dual monitor setup! :)

Attachments

• Dirty Studio.jpg
    Dirty Studio.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I have found that having two monitors of different sizes can be quite annoying.

Me too. I originally had a 19" monitor and a 32" TV/Monitor. Way too annoying. I managed to find another 19" monitor the same as the one I already had on eBay. 99p starting bid. I bid and won it at 99p and it was only about a 10 minute drive to pick it up. The bloke gave it to me for free. I have got my eye out for a 3rd the same but not for my computer, for my Roland VS2480.

I like things to match. :thumbs up:

Three of my monitors are AOC (that is the brand). The two main ones (21") were only $89 each new. Cheap China crap but they work. One actually failed a year or so later. Disposable at that price tho. Actually, I need to check that thing as I had a failed motherboard at the time. It might not be dead now that I think about it. Hmm..

The third one is a much better 23" model that was $180 or so.

I am not sure how pricing is there in England, but you can't beat free! :)

I am a monitor whore... lol

My only "tip" ray is to make sure you're using the highest resolution the monitor's capable off... assuming you've reasonable eyesight that is.

Thanks folks.
Other than adjusting to looking UP a little higher things seem to good in two screen land.
I have the reso about equal David. It does make things easier on my aging occular twin set.
I'm sure I'll find inclination to pop FX etc over on the right after I've experimented with workflow.
Oh, I played the Jongleurs again last weekend.
Seriously David - IT IS GOOD!

In Reason, you can run all three pieces (mixer, sequencer and rack) on three separate screens or any combination. Very nice. I only have two, but I use the bottom screen for the mixer, and swap the rack and the sequencer on the top (just hit the SEQ, or RACK buttons on the mixer). When I'm using my drum kit through SSD, I put Reaper on the top screen as well. I have dual Samsung monitors, but one is 24 and the other 22. Only problem is when you try to get to the top monitor from the right side of the bottom one (resolution starts at left on both and the mouse won't travel past the top of the bottom screen where the top doesn't have res).

I prefer over and under with my work flow on top and my desk on the desk :D

I have a 22" and a 19". I float the mixer on the 19' and use the 22" for the track flow screen. That seems to work for me.

Oh, I played the Jongleurs again last weekend.
Seriously David - IT IS GOOD!
Thanks Ray... I actually bought new iPod headphones and gave it a spin on the way to work myself yesterday ... first time I've listened in months, and thought, you know... not too shabby...:listeningmusic:

Clearly this awesome quality is being recognised by the world at large as we earned $0.13 from Spotify plays in August... :):thumbs up:

:eek::mad:

New user here, Hello everyone!

Question for you more experienced users. I am looking into using a 2nd monitor, mainly for dragging my plugin efx chain over to the right monitor. In reaper, am I able to build a record template, build my efx/EQ/comp plugin chain for each track and place them on the 2nd monitor. I'm thinking tracks and mixer on the left monitor and efx chain on the right monitor. Will this allow me to simply click on the track I wish to work on and automatically bring up that efx chain for that track on the right monitor? I'm trying to alleviate having to click on each plugin separately to pull it up, then having to click off of it to bring up another plugin. I wish to place up to 6 plugins on the right monitor for each track. Is this possible? If so, does the signal chain remain the same as listed in the efx window if I move them around on the 2nd monitor for convenience?

Welcome to the boards!

This is an old thread. You'll probably get better results posting a new thread in the Reaper subforum.

You're talking about floating FX controls out from the main FX window, right? (i.e. the way they pop out when you double click them?)
I don't think Reaper does what you're describing out of the box, but you might be able to create a shortcut for it in the "Actions" menu. (Actions > Show Action List...)
Where you position the windows doesn't affect anything. Only the order you have them in the main FX window.

Back