Thread: Delay From Mic To Computer \ Latency

zackavenaugh is offline Registered User

Delay From Mic To Computer \ Latency

Sign in to disable this ad
    There is a slight delay on all incoming sound from the microphone-in jack on my laptop. Is there a way around this, or is the only solution lining up the tracks?

In the past, I've always recorded through the line-in of my desktop PC, without any problems; but I ended up getting a nice new laptop for work and wanted to try using it instead. The only sound input it has is mic-in input, and I am assuming that is the reason for the delay?

zach

jerberson12 is offline Mucis Procedure
    you need a better sound card with zero latency. on board are pain in the ass.....If your going to use your laptop, there are lots of affordable one like M-Audio fast track, mobilepre USB or transit where you connect it thru USB.

Murdersgalore is offline Force of Nature
    Welcome to the world of software devices. That's not even a soundcard, it's a port with software wrapped around it and the main CPU does all the work.

Masterherm is offline Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by zackavenaugh View Post
    There is a slight delay on all incoming sound from the microphone-in jack on my laptop. Is there a way around this, or is the only solution lining up the tracks?

In the past, I've always recorded through the line-in of my desktop PC, without any problems; but I ended up getting a nice new laptop for work and wanted to try using it instead. The only sound input it has is mic-in input, and I am assuming that is the reason for the delay?

zach
    Depending on the software you are using,you might be able to adjust the settings to compensate for the latency.However,if you are not using a Asio type sound card,by lowering the latency level on your laptop sound card, you are also degrading the sound quality.No way around it,straight up.

lifelyrics is offline Training wheels on

Question for you...

Quote Originally Posted by jerberson12 View Post
    you need a better sound card with zero latency. on board are pain in the ass.....If your going to use your laptop, there are lots of affordable one like M-Audio fast track, mobilepre USB or transit where you connect it thru USB.
    I'm looking at the M-Audio fast track for recording 3-4 tracks of vocals at once. If I need to lay down vocals after preparing several music tracks, will I run into latency issues because of the USB connection? Is there a way around it? I don't want to buy the hardware if it means stressing over lining stuff up after the fact.

Setup would be M-Audio-Laptop/Windows Vista-Sonar HS 7.

I've been using DP-004, but I'm running into teeny-tiny wav files (input has to be set very low, in order to avoid overload) when I bring them into Sonar to work with them. Then I have to amplify them, and it is creating unwanted white noise. I was told the M-audio would solve that problem, because it is 24 bit instead of 16 bit. If this is true, and I can work around the latency/USB issue, I think it may be the right choice for the money (or lack thereof - I mean, I don't really have a "budget" to work with).

Thanks to anyone who has experience with this/these product.

Thread Information